Baron Davis still trying to make NBA comeback
Baron Davis is now 39 years old and has not played in the NBA since the 2011-12 season, but that is not stopping him from continuing to pursue a comeback.
While in attendance to watch the Bucks defeat the Warriors on Thursday night, Davis told Matt Steinmetz of 95.7-FM The Game that he thinks Golden State should consider signing him for backcourt depth. He wasn’t joking, and he said he has already reached out to multiple teams.
Baron Davis at Bucks-Warriors game. Told me before tip: “Someone should write a story of how the Warriors should sign me after New Years, for backcourt help down stretch.” Was he kidding? Nope. Said he already touched base with Hawks regarding playing and another team or two.
— Matt Steinmetz (@SteinmetzNBA) November 9, 2018
Davis tore his ACL and MCL in a playoff game with the Knicks back in 2012, and he had to undergo surgery before he became a free agent that summer. He never signed with an NBA team after that, though he scored 44 points in a Drew League game in 2015 and later played with the Delaware 87ers of the NBA D-League.
While he has managed to keep himself in the news with his outspoken opinions, Davis has little to no chance of finding work with an NBA team. He was once an All-Star caliber player, but that was many years ago. There’s simply no reason to think he could play at a high level at his age and so far removed from NBA basketball.