pixel 1
header
Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Philip Rivers, Chargers mutually agree to part ways

Philip Rivers

The Philip Rivers era with the Chargers has officially come to an end.

A report last month claimed the Chargers have already moved on from Rivers as their quarterback, and the team confirmed that on Monday with an official announcement. General manager Tom Telesco said in a team press release that the two sides have mutually agreed to part ways, though he added that he still believes Rivers is capable of playing at a high level.

“I’ve said before that Philip can still compete at a top-starter level and, in a perfect world, number 17 is your quarterback forever,” Telesco said. “Obviously, we live in an imperfect world where the only constant is change. I think Philip’s tremendous perspective, both when it comes to football and when it comes to life, helped lend clarity to a very complex situation.”

The Chargers also shared a tribute video on Twitter thanking Rivers for his time with the franchise.

Rivers had a rough season in 2019. While he threw for an impressive 4,615 yards, he had just 23 touchdown passes compared to 20 interceptions. Rivers turned 38 in December and has clearly lost some arm strength, but he should have no problem finding a starting job if he chooses to keep playing.

Of course, the Chargers confirming that they will not bring Rivers back will only breathe more life into the rumors that they could make one of the biggest splashes in the history of NFL free agency.

Read more LBS stories:

Subscribe and Listen to the Podcast!

Sports News Minute Podcast

Comments

comments powered by Disqus