Sean Payton confirms Saints’ interest in Antonio Brown, says it depends on playoffs
The New Orleans Saints hosted Antonio Brown for a workout on Friday, but it sounds like their decision to sign him or not rests in the hands of the NFL.
Saints head coach Sean Payton confirmed to reporters that Brown was among a group of receivers the team worked out, but he said the visits were more about “due diligence” and none will be added to the roster at this time. With regard to Brown, Payton said the Saints would need clarification on whether or not he would be cleared by the NFL to play in the postseason.
When Payton was asked what has changed from earlier this season when he said the Saints weren’t interested in signing Antonio Brown, he admitted that he was probably lying earlier this season. https://t.co/OvkNDKbenL
— Mike Triplett (@MikeTriplett) December 27, 2019
The NFL is still investigating multiple sexual misconduct allegations against Brown, and a suspension seems inevitable. One line of thought is that the league is deliberately dragging out the investigation to discourage teams from signing Brown prior to next season, and Brown could also be placed on the commissioner’s exempt list even if a team does agree to a deal with him.
There are several teams that are reportedly interested in Brown, but all indications have been that he is going to be suspended at some point. He had a sexual assault lawsuit filed against him by a former friend and personal trainer earlier this year, and a second woman whom he hired to do some artwork at his house has since accused him of sexual misconduct.
The thought of Brown and Michael Thomas catching passes together in the playoffs is one that should terrify NFC teams, but it remains highly unlikely that it will become a reality.