Aaron Judge has gotten off to an incredible start to the 2025 season, and the New York Yankees slugger is tearing the cover off the ball without using the “torpedo” style bat that some of his teammates have turned to. Don’t expect that to change, either.
The Yankees set a franchise record by hitting nine home runs as a team in their 20-9 win over the Milwaukee Brewers on Saturday. Judge accounted for three of those homers. The offensive outburst received attention in part because two players — Jazz Chisholm Jr. and Anthony Volpe — hit home runs using modified bats that have a torpedo-like shape.
Judge, however, is still using a more traditional bat. When asked on Sunday why he is opting against the new design, the reigning AL MVP had a very simple explanation.

“What I did the past couple of seasons speaks for itself. Why try to change something if you have something that’s working?” Judge said.
Aaron Judge has less than zero interest in using the new torpedo bats.
— Chris Kirschner (@ChrisKirschner) March 30, 2025
"What I did the past couple of seasons speaks for itself. Why try to change something if you have something that’s working?"
The man has a point. Judge has been named AL MVP twice in the past three seasons. He posted career highs last year with a .322 average, 144 RBIs and a 1.159 OPS. Judge led the majors with 58 home runs in 2024.
Oh, and Judge sent another ball into orbit in his first at-bat on Sunday.
Aaron Judge is unreal!
— MLB (@MLB) March 30, 2025
He has FOUR homers already this season 🤯 pic.twitter.com/7El1LWblYa
MLB has said the torpedo bats are legal, but some opposing players are already unhappy about them. The bat design would not have received nearly as much attention if not for the Yankees’ record day on Saturday, but it has become a major storyline now.
Like Judge said, there is no need for him to change anything he has been doing. He might be tempted to give the torpedo a shot if he falls into a slump at some point, but don’t count on that happening.