NFL not commenting on Mark Wahlberg’s ‘Ballers’ claim
The NFL is not commenting on Mark Wahlberg’s claim that he was hearing from people associated with the league about the content of new HBO TV show “Ballers.”
Wahlberg is an executive producer for “Ballers,” a show featuring The Rock that follows the lives of many fictional characters associated with the NFL. The show has narratives about a former player turned agent; a player who retired but made a comeback; and a hot-shot player struggling with his teammates. It has featured cameos from many famous NFL personalities. The second season premieres on Sunday night.
Wahlberg says the show was a little too realistic, prompting calls from people associated with the league.
“The first season of the show, the only call that I was getting was from guys like Roger Goodell saying ‘you can’t do this,’ and various owners in the league,” Wahlberg told ESPN’s “Mike and Mike” on Friday. “And we’re saying is it’s actually a good thing for the league and for the players because hopefully you get the word out there with the crazy stuff and the financial side of it, we’ll hopefully get these guys to realize they gotta be more careful with what they do with their money.”
In response to Wahlberg’s claim, Pro Football Talk reports that a source told them Goodell never called Wahlberg. The league also declined comment to PFT.
Not only is Ballers apparently rankling some associated with the league because of the show’s content, but it also has been using the trademarks and logos of real NFL teams — another subject the league declined comment on last year. Maybe the league realizes it’s had such bad publicity lately that they don’t need any more of it.