Outside the cities of Chicago and Detroit and their surrounding areas, it’s probably safe to say Jay Cutler and Ndamukong Suh do not have a ton of fans. A recent survey conducted by Nielsen and E-Poll Market Research turned that assumption into more of a reality.
According to Forbes, the survey asked fans to rate a number of players based on likability and it revealed that Suh and Cutler are the two least popular players in the NFL with only 19% and 21% appeal, respectively. The two most popular players in the league were Troy Polamalu (63% appeal) and Drew Brees (62% appeal).
Not exactly shocking, to say the least. Cheap shots like this one have resulted in Suh being called one of the dirtiest players in the league. Cutler has always been known as a crybaby, and it likely didn’t help this year when he shoved one of his teammates and stormed away from his offensive coordinator. Michael Vick also made the least-liked list, and we don’t need to get into the history there.
As for the players who are the most popular, you have to wonder how much of a role advertising plays. Polamalu, Brees, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers all made the top five on the most-liked list. What do they all have in common? Funny commercials. Whether it be Head & Shoulders or the discount double-check, those are faces were are exposed to all the time on TV. That almost certainly plays a role in the rankings.
Here are the full results:
- Most Liked Players
1. Troy Polamalu, Steelers, S (63%)
2. Drew Brees, Saints, QB (62%)
2. Charles Woodson, Packers, DB (62%)
4. Peyton Manning, Broncos, QB (59%)
5. Rob Gronkowski, Patriots, TE (58%)
5. Aaron Rodgers, Packers, QB (58%)
7. Donald Driver, Packers, WR (57%)
7. Robert Griffin III, Redskins, QB (57%)
7. Brian Urlacher, Bears, LB (57%)
10. Matthew Stafford (56%)
Least Liked Players
1. Ndamukong Suh, Lions, DL (19%)
2. Jay Cutler, Bears, QB (21%)
3. Michael Vick, Eagles, QB (23%)
4. Randy Moss, 49ers, WR (24%)
5. Matt Leinart, Raiders, QB (26%)
6. Kyle Orton, Cowboys, QB (27%)
6. Tony Romo, Cowboys, QB (27%)
8. Santonio Holmes, Jets, WR (28%)
9. Brady Quinn, Chiefs, QB (31%)
9. Mark Sanchez, Jets, QB, (31%)
Photo Credit: Dennis Wierzbicki-US PRESSWIREGoogle+
Tagged with: Jay Cutler • Ndamukong Suh