Mets will not rule out Yoenis Cespedes missing all of 2019
The New York Mets still owe Yoenis Cespedes roughly $60 million over the next two seasons, but they are facing the harsh reality that the outfielder may not play at all in 2019.
Cespedes is recovering from surgery he had on both of his heels back in July, and Mets executive Omar Minaya said during a radio interview on Wednesday that it would basically be a bonus if Cespedes can give the team anything next season.
Speaking on @MLBNetworkRadio this morning, Omar Minaya echoed the recent chorus on Yoenis Cespedes' complete lack of a timetable to return:
"If he gives us anything this year, that is great, we're happy for that," Minaya said.
— Anthony DiComo (@AnthonyDiComo) January 2, 2019
That’s a tough spot to be in, and it may result in the Mets looking into signing or trading for an outfield bat this winter.
Cespedes hit .280 with 31 home runs and 86 RBI in 2016, and the Mets rewarded him with a four-year, $110 million contract. To say that the signing has not worked out would be an understatement, as Cespedes has appeared in just 119 games over the past two seasons and appears like he’s going to miss the majority of 2019, at the very least. The Mets hinted previously that they have some protection against injury in Cespedes’ contract, but that does not make the situation any less disappointing.