Mark Richt announces he is stepping down as head coach at Miami
Just a few days after Miami was demolished 35-3 by Wisconsin in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl, Hurricanes head coach Mark Richt has announced he is stepping down.
Richt said in a statement on Sunday morning that he is retiring from coaching. He thanked the university and made it clear that the decision was his alone and he was not pushed out.
— Miami Hurricanes (@MiamiHurricanes) December 30, 2018
A report after Miami’s bowl loss indicated Richt was open to making offensive changes with the program, as he had not been able to replicate the pro-style offense at Miami that he ran with so much success at Georgia. The Hurricanes were among the worst FBS programs this year in total offensive yardage and passing yards per game.
While Richt’s third season with Miami was a disappointment, the 58-year-old’s decision to step down is a major surprise. He took the Hurricanes to the Orange Bowl last year and appeared to be a good quarterback away from having a national championship contender. While Richt says he is retiring, it would not be a surprise if we see him coaching again in the future.