Baltimore Ravens defensive end Calais Campbell suffered a family tragedy in July.
His mother, Nateal Campbell, passed away after being found unresponsive with cuts on her neck. His brother, Ciarre Campbell, was found inside the residence and was charged with murder, aggravated assault, and possession of a knife.
On Tuesday, Calais Campell addressed the tragedy for the first time publicly while speaking to reporters.
“I just wanted to say these last couple months have been pretty tough for me and my family,” Campbell said. “But [I’ve] been working through it and I really appreciate all the love and support and the prayers that have been coming from all over, really from all the NFL community, all the fan bases. So I appreciate the prayers. Continue praying for us because we need it.”
Speaking for the first time since his family tragedy, Calais Campbell said the past few months have been tough for his family and asks for the prayers to keep coming in pic.twitter.com/JDhucQL7NY
— Jamison Hensley (@jamisonhensley) August 18, 2026
Ciarre Campbell currently remains in custody at the Fulton County Jail in Georgia after his attorney withdrew his request for bond.
Calais Campbell was with the Ravens previously from 2020 to 2022, and he rejoined the team this offseason on a one-year deal after spending 2025 with the Arizona Cardinals.
Despite the tragedy, Campbell insists he plans to play this season.
“I love the game of football a lot and it is a place [that] brings me joy. This is a very fun place for me to be. And so playing football has been great for me,” Campbell said when asked if he thought about not playing this year.
The Ravens begins the regular season against the Indianapolis Colts on the road on September 13.














