Terrelle Pryor declares himself healthy, ready for ‘dominant year’
Terrelle Pryor has missed some time with the New York Jets this offseason because of an ankle injury that required surgery, but the wide receiver says the minor procedure is nothing to be concerned about.
After the Jets’ final minicamp practice on Thursday, Pryor said he anticipates being a full-go for training camp next month and is ready to return to his “dominant” form.
“Right now I’m healthy and I’m ready to get back to form and have a dominant year,” he said, per Zach Braziller of the New York Post. “For now, in my mind, I’ll be there on the first day.”
Pryor was still in a walking boot this week and was unable to practice, so whether or not he practices without limitations at the start of training camp will likely be up to team doctors. The latest injury is separate from the foot injury that shut Pryor down for most of his first and only season with the Washington Redskins last year.
“I just really couldn’t focus on my game, because I was too worried about my foot,” Pryor said of the injury he suffered in Week 1 last year. “It kind of took control and controlled my mind.”
Coming off his down season, Pryor signed a one-year, $4.5 million contract with the Jets. You could argue that it is very much a “prove-it” deal, but the 28-year old is hoping he can remain in New York long-term.
“It’s big, because I love it here. I’d like to finish my career here,” he said. “I want to come out and have a great year, and I believe I will [if] I stay healthy, God-willing, and I know I will.
“When I come out here I’m going to hit the field running — fast, hard and being a leader on the field for the offense.”
Pryor broke out with 77 catches for 1,007 yards and four touchdowns while playing for the Cleveland Browns in 2016, and he is hoping for another season similar to that in 2018.