• Skip to main content
  • Skip to header right navigation
  • Skip to site footer
Larry Brown Sports

Larry Brown Sports

Brown Bag it, Baby

  • Home
  • Blog View
  • NFL
  • NCAAF
  • NBA
  • MLB
  • Media
  • Headlines
  • Podcast
MMAGeorges St-PierreKhabib Nurmagomedov

Khabib Nurmagomedov willing to fight GSP despite retirement talk

February 20, 2019 by Steve DelVecchio • Comments
FacebookTweetLinkedInRedditThreadsWhatsAppEmail
Georges St-Pierre

Georges St-Pierre

Reports are swirling that Georges St-Pierre is planning to announce his retirement this week after he failed to work out a deal for a fight against Khabib Nurmagomedov, but Khabib says he is willing to help make the bout happen.

A French-language report from Benoit Beaudoin of RDS claims St-Pierre will announce his retirement in a press conference at the Bell Centre in Montreal on Thursday.

BREAKING: @BenBeaudoinRDS reports that Georges St-Pierre plans on announcing his retirement at a press conference tomorrow morning at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

This comes as a result of failed negotiations for a bout between him and lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov. https://t.co/d1cfHGIQvY

— Aaron Bronsteter (@aaronbronsteter) February 20, 2019

Shortly after that report surfaced, Khabib took to Instagram and said he wants to fight GSP in November. He also said he grew up watching St-Pierre and has “nothing but respect” for the former middleweight and welterweight champion.

View this post on Instagram

Let’s do it in November. After this fight you can retire. I grow up on your fights, and have nothing but respect for you, and I believe showed that to you George when you were in Moscow. But, it would be honor for me to share Octagon with one of the greatest fighters of all time. Let’s do it 155 lbs, or I give away 5lbs to you, cause you newer done 155. Well, it’s your choice 155 or 160, Montreal, NYC, Moscow or Abu Dhabi. Send me location my Friend #GSPvsKHABIB #ufc #mma #history #RUSSIAvsCANADA

A post shared by Khabib Nurmagomedov (@khabib_nurmagomedov) on Feb 20, 2019 at 9:31am PST

Khabib said he is willing to fight at 155 or 160 pounds, and he also offered to let GSP set the location. However, things may not be as simple as the two agreeing to a fight, as UFC president Dana White said last year that GSP has to face a contender before he can earn a shot at Nurmagomedov.

GSP basically walked away from mixed martial arts in 2013, but he returned in 2017 to defeat Michael Bisping and win the UFC middleweight title. He hasn’t fought since and has vacated the belt due to a bout with ulcerative colitis. There was talk last year about matching St-Pierre with a different opponent, but he was not interested in that.

It’s unclear if Khabib’s willingness to fight GSP will be enough for him to put his retirement on hold, especially since White previously said St-Pierre can’t just jump over contenders to face Khabib.

  • i want more great stories!

Sign up today for free and get the best sports content sent to your inbox.

You can unsubscribe anytime. For more details, review our Privacy Policy.

.

Follow Us

Get instantly notified of the most viral news stories via Google!

  • Trending stories

Kyle Tucker in his Dodgers uniform

Dodgers benched Kyle Tucker for an embarrassing reason

5 days ago
Vikings player Jamal Adams suffering a serious injury at MetLife Stadium

Everyone said the same thing after Vikings’ Jamal Adams suffered non-contact injury

5 days ago
Nolan Arenado looking on

Nolan Arenado gets the memes after exiting with unusual-sounding ailment

4 days ago
Pat McAfee celebrating

Pat McAfee lands a new job within ESPN

1 day ago
Colts coach Brian Mason injured

Colts assistant coach suffered serious injury in sideline collision

6 days ago

Sidebar


  • don’t miss these

Dustin Poirier posing

Dustin Poirier calls sponsor’s product ‘poison’ after contract termination

July 22, 2026156
Conor McGregor in the cage

Khabib’s manager floats conspiracy theory about Conor McGregor’s latest fight

July 17, 2026363
Conor McGregor in the ring

Max Holloway’s son trolls Conor McGregor with a savage post-fight message

July 13, 2026651
Conor McGregor suffering a knee injury after his opening kick against Max Holloway at UFC 329

Everyone made the same joke after Conor McGregor blew out his knee

July 12, 2026977
Conor McGregor in the cage

Conor McGregor reveals his future plans after his latest injury

July 12, 2026756
Conor McGregor in the ring

Conor McGregor issues statement after getting hurt seconds into his fight

July 12, 2026649
  • popular stories

Angel Reese in her Dream uniform

Fans bring out jokes after seeing Angel Reese’s boyfriend courtside

Julian Reese looking on

Bad news emerges for Angel Reese’s brother Julian

Aaron Judge in his Yankees uniform

Possible return date emerges for Aaron Judge

Kelsey Mitchell confronting Marina Mabrey

Kelsey Mitchell confronts ex-Caitlin Clark enemy Marina Mabrey

Bengals QB Joe Burrow on the sideline

Joe Burrow reacts to the Jayden Daniels-LSU drama

Little League World Series sign stealing

Little League World Series team accused of cheating

Get the App

© 2026 · LB Sports Media Group Inc · Powered by Springwire.ai

Privacy Manager © 2026 · All Rights Reserved
  • X
  • Facebook
  • YouTube
  • Instagram
  • RSS Feed
  • About Larry Brown Sports
  • Contact
  • Editorial Process
  • Staff Writers
  • Privacy Policy
Dedicated to the memory of Nevil Vega