Anthony Joshua is regarded as one of the best heavyweight fighters in the world, but he has yet to face the other top two heavyweights: Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder. Instead, Joshua has mostly hung out in the UK and even lost to Andy Ruiz Jr. before getting revenge. Meanwhile, Fury and Wilder have now fought twice, battling to a draw in the first and Fury winning the second match.
During a visit on Ariel Helwani’s show Monday, Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn said Joshua wants to face Fury.
.@EddieHearn on a potential Anthony Joshua-Tyson Fury fight:
"We want the Tyson Fury fight next. AJ called me yesterday and said 'how do we make this fight happen?'
"If there is no rematch (with Wilder), we want to do everything we can to make AJ vs. Fury next."@arielhelwani
— Greg Rosenstein (@grosenstein) February 24, 2020
We’ll believe this when we see it.
Joshua didn’t want Wilder and he probably doesn’t actually want Fury. Or maybe he’s saying he does because he can get some good press knowing that Wilder and Fury will fight for a third time first.
Whatever the case, Joshua needs to get in the mix here with these two. The sport is at its best when the best fighters face each other.
It’s safe to say that Andy Ruiz Jr is enjoying his victory lap.
Speaking with reporters on Saturday, Ruiz Jr, who stunned Anthony Joshua earlier this month in a huge upset to win the unified world heavyweight title, had some trash talk for Joshua in anticipation of their next meeting.
“The rematch is going to be the same. I am going to be more prepared and more ready,” he said, per BBC Sport. “I know his flaws. I can do a lot better. The only thing that he can do is just run around, he’s not good at boxing.
“People thought I wasn’t going to do anything, I was too big, too overweight,” Ruiz Jr continued. “I don’t want to say all the things I am going to change. There is going to be a lot of changing, I am going to come at a better weight this time. It’s going to be a hell of a fight.”
Joshua, who was a perfect 22-0 before his loss to Ruiz Jr, had many of his weaknesses exposed during the Jun. 1 bout, particularly his chin and stamina.
The rematch clause between the two has already been triggered, meaning that Round 2 will definitely happen at some point. There has been some haggling over where the rematch might take place, but Ruiz Jr is clearly relishing the moment for now.
Andy Ruiz Jr. and Anthony Joshua are expected to face each other in a rematch of last weekend’s heavyweight fight at some point later this year. Joshua may want the rematch to be held in the UK, but Ruiz wants to be paid a premium for that.
Ruiz was interviewed by Fight Hub TV’s Marcos Villegas this week and was asked about the rematch. He said he wanted $50 million to go to the UK for the rematch.
“I would love it to be here in the United States or in Mexico,” Ruiz told Villegas. “But, hey, it all depends on what we negotiate. If they want me to go over there they have to give me $50 million. It they wanna come over here … it’s just negotiations.”
Joshua is from England and fought his first 22 matches in the UK. Saturday’s loss to Ruiz at Madison Square Garden in New York was his first time fighting outside the UK.
Joshua is the more well-known fighter between the two and considered the “A” side of the negotiations, which would give him the power to dictate terms, even though Ruiz is now the champion. He and his promotional team of Eddie Hearn’s Matchroom Boxing may want to return to the UK for the rematch. DAZN, which has an exclusive contract with Joshua, is trying to get him to fight the rematch in New York. It sounds like Ruiz wants it to be somewhere in North America rather than Europe.
Ruiz, who was a replacement fighter, reportedly earned around $7 million for the fight. Joshua is said to have made about 3.5 times that.
H/T Bad Left Hook
DAZN is pushing for the Andy Ruiz Jr.-Anthony Joshua rematch to take place in New York just like the first fight, according to a report.
DAZN, a standalone subscription channel specializing in combat sports, aired Saturday’s fight between Ruiz and Joshua that saw a major upset as Joshua lost via 7th-round TKO in a stunner at Madison Square Garden. The fight marked Joshua’s first in the US as the British fighter’s previous 22 fights all took place in the UK.
Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn said after the fight that he expected a rematch to take place in November or December probably in the UK, but DAZN officials met with Joshua this week to discuss doing the rematch in New York, according to boxing reporter Chris Mannix.
DAZN officials this week—including executive chairman John Skipper—met with Anthony Joshua to discuss bringing the rematch with Andy Ruiz back to New York. Likelihood is that the rematch takes place in the UK—but it will be Joshua’s call.
— Chris Mannix (@SIChrisMannix) June 6, 2019
Joshua has built up a large following in the UK, but his debut in the US saw him get knocked down four times. Successfully breaking through in the United States is vital to being universally respected in the boxing world. Returning to the UK where he has the fan support and it’s more comfortable would signal to fans that he had to retreat and couldn’t handle the big stage. DAZN knows that and wants him to prove to US fans he’s not scared and that he is capable of a win. It’s better for the sport overall for him to win in New York rather than return to his bubble in the UK.
From Ricky Hatton to Prince Naseem Hamed, boxing is full of fighters who got hyped up in the UK and failed to deliver in the US. DAZN doesn’t want Joshua to fall in the same group. Joshua and Hearn shouldn’t want that either.
Tyson Fury ripped Anthony Joshua over his loss to Andy Ruiz Jr. on Saturday night.
Joshua was a heavy favorite entering his fight with Ruiz, who was a replacement fighter that only signed on for the fight around a month in advance. Joshua, who was regarded as the best heavyweight in the world, was knocked down four times by his largely unknown opponent, who won via 7th-round TKO.
Fury is one of the other top heavyweights in the world and appeared on “The Sedano Show” on ESPN Radio Los Angeles Tuesday. He called Joshua a “disgrace” for his loss to Ruiz.
"Can you imagine you're built like an Adonis… and a little fat guy who's had every Snickers in the whole of California cooks you there & bombs you all over. What a disgrace… I'd never show my face in public ever again." – @Tyson_Fury on @Andy_destroyer1 / @anthonyfjoshua https://t.co/PYKpVgrMex
— ESPNLosAngeles (@ESPNLosAngeles) June 4, 2019
Fury, 30, is part of a suddenly exciting heavyweight division in boxing. His biggest career accomplishment came in 2015 when he beat Wladimir Klitschko. Then last year he fought Deontay Wilder to a draw with a stunning comeback. Though he signed with Top Rank, he and Wilder are expecting to meet in a rematch after each of their next fights. Ruiz Jr. and Joshua are likely to have a rematch at the end of the year too. If Joshua could ever fight Wilder and/or Fury, the division would generate much more appeal and buzz. Fury seems to be welcoming that by calling Joshua a “disgrace.”
Should referee Mike Griffin have stopped the Anthony Joshua-Andy Ruiz Jr. fight on Saturday night? That’s a question many are debating.
Ruiz Jr. was declared a 7th-round TKO winner over Joshua, handing the former heavyweight champion his first career defeat. The action really got started during a thrilling third round.
Joshua dropped Ruiz with a knockdown, and the Mexican-American responded by flooring Joshua twice later in the round. Then in the seventh, Ruiz scored two more knockdowns. Joshua beat the count on the first knockdown. He beat the count after the next knockdown as well, but that’s where things got tricky.
Joshua looked towards his corner after the second knockdown, indicating he may have been looking at them for advice about whether he should have continued. Griffin then asked Joshua if he wanted to continue. Joshua said yes. Despite Joshua saying he wanted to continue, Griffin stopped the fight, making Ruiz a TKO winner.
That explains Joshua’s confused reaction to the fight being called off by Griffin:
— DAZN USA (@DAZN_USA) June 2, 2019
So why did Griffin stop the fight even after Joshua said he wanted to continue? Probably because his body language told a different story. Joshua had looked to his corner. He did not step forward towards Griffin, which is something fighters usually do to indicate they want to continue.
Joshua had been knocked down four times by Ruiz and was thoroughly beaten in the fight. Nobody can argue with the result, even if Joshua was hoping for it to continue.
Joshua is now 22-1 following the defeat, while Ruiz improves to 33-1.
Deontay Wilder was feeling some schadenfreude after watching Anthony Joshua get upset by Andy Ruiz Jr. on Saturday night.
Wilder, who is the WBC heavyweight champion, ripped Joshua on Twitter for losing to Ruiz. Wilder said Joshua “wasn’t a true champion” and questioned Joshua’s career.
He wasn’t a true champion. His whole career was consisted of lies, contradictions and gifts.
Facts and now we know who was running from who!!!!#TilThisDay
— Deontay Wilder (@BronzeBomber) June 2, 2019
Joshua, previously 22-0, was often viewed as the best heavyweight in the world prior to his loss to Ruiz. Wilder, a knockout specialist who is undefeated, was the fighter fans wanted to see face Joshua. The two went back-and-forth but never made the fight happen. Now that Joshua has lost, a fight between them is no longer as attractive as it once would have been.
Wilder is set to face Luis Ortiz and then have a rematch with Tyson Fury after that. Meanwhile, Joshua’s next fight is likely to be a rematch with Ruiz. Wilder and Joshua may fight one day, but it won’t carry the same intrigue now that Joshua has lost.