Terence Crawford and Shawn Porter have agreed to fight in November for what will be an intriguing welterweight fight.
The two fighters are set to meet in the ring on Nov. 20 at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Nev. The fight will be televised on ESPN+ pay-per-view.
What’s unusual about this fight is that the boxers are represented by rival promoters who decided to do business for the overall good of the sport. Crawford is in his last fight under contract with Bob Arum’s Top Rank. Porter is promoted by Al Haymon’s PBC.
Crawford, who is 37-0 and regarded as one of the top pound-for-pound fighters in the world, is set to make at least $6 million. Porter is set to pocket at least $4 million. He is 31-3-1 in his career. Porter has been beaten by Kell Brook, Keith Thurman and Errol Spence Jr.
This fight could be Crawford’s biggest test in the ring. The WBO welterweight title belt will be on the line in the fight.
So much for the proposed fight between Manny Pacquiao and Terence Crawford.
Pacquiao shared in February that he was training for a return to the ring. He hinted in March that he was thinking of facing Mikey Garcia, but also considering Crawford.
Then on March 30, boxing reporter Mike Coppinger said that Crawford’s promoter, Top Rank, was working on scheduling a June 5 fight in Abu Dhabi between Pac-Man and Crawford. Pacquiao’s promotional company called the report “nonsense.” It seems like Pacquiao’s camp was right.
Coppinger followed up on Friday by saying funding for the fight didn’t come through. He says that means the fight is now “all but dead.”
Many informed fans and insiders did not expect the fight to materialize. They all appear to be correct.
It’s almost too late to declare an opponent for June 5 as it wouldn’t allow much time to promote the fight. Pacquiao has not fought since July, 2019. His wait is likely to continue. Crawford fought in November to improve to 37-0, but it doesn’t sound like Pacquiao is up next for him.
The head of Manny Pacquiao’s promotional company is throwing some cold water on reports about a fight with Terence Crawford.
On Tuesday, Mike Coppinger reported that Top Rank told ESPN and pay-per-view distributor “In Demand” that they were looking to do a fight on June 5 between Pacquiao and Crawford. According to Coppinger, the fight would have to take place in Abu Dhabi. Coppinger reported that Pacquiao was “in discussions” about the fight.
However, MP Promotions President Sean Gibbons called the report “nonsense.”
“[This is] Bob Arum and Mike Koncz nonsense,” Gibbons told the Inquirer. “I do not believe that is happening.”
Pacquiao fought for Arum’s Top Rank for several years but left the company in 2017. Pac-Man later created MP Promotions. Then last year he briefly joined Audie Attar’s Paradigm Sports Management, though he is no longer under contract with them.
Coppinger’s information may have come directly from Top Rank, which represents Crawford. The report never said Pacquiao has agreed to the fight.
In February, Pacquiao said he was targeting a comeback. He also shared how much money he told Arum he wanted to fight Crawford.
Kell Brook was completely lost after getting knocked out by Terence “Bud” Crawford in their welterweight fight at the MGM Grand on Saturday night in Las Vegas, Nev.
Crawford (37-0, 28 KOs) got credit for a knockdown of Brook in the fourth because Brook needed the ropes to keep him up. About 15 seconds later, the fight was waved off for good, giving Crawford a TKO win.
Brook was so stunned that he didn’t even know what happened. He could be seen asking his corner that question after the fight.
“This is boxing. I obviously got caught with a shot I didn’t see,” Brook admitted in a post-fight interview with Mark Kriegel. “The referee waved it off. That’s never happened to me before.”
Brook also admitted that “the best man won tonight.”
Brook entered the fight only having lost to Gennady Golovkin and Errol Spence Jr. He is now 39-3 and has faced the toughest competition in the welterweight division. Fans would love to see Crawford fight Spence next, but it’s unclear whether that will happen.
Amir Khan was booed by the fans at Madison Square Garden on Saturday night after declining to continue following a low blow by Bud Crawford in the sixth round of their WBO welterweight title.
Khan was struck in the groin by a massive left uppercut from Crawford in the first minute of the sixth round. He appeared to be in great discomfort and decided he could not continue. His trainer Virgil Hunter later said it was Khan’s decision not to continue, not the corner’s.
The fans in attendance were upset to see Khan call off the fight halfway through the expected 12 rounds for the title fight and let him know it with boos during his postfight interview.
Crawford was credited with a TKO win to improve to 35-0.
So why did Khan and his corner decide to stop the fight? Maybe they didn’t like the way things were going and were hoping for a disqualification for Crawford if the low blow were ruled to be intentional. Instead, it was ruled accidental, and Crawford was given a TKO win.
Hunter also said after the fight that Khan was fighting at less than full strength due to bone spurs in his elbow.
Khan may now want to try and revisit talks to fight Kell Brook next.
Bud Crawford beat Jose Benavidez on Saturday night in Omaha, Neb. via 12th-round TKO thanks to a vicious uppercut.
Crawford and Benavidez traded some punches throughout the night and much more showmanship. But Benavidez was unable to back up his talking and dancing as Crawford caught him with an uppercut in the final minute of the fight:
Benavidez got up after the knockdown and said he could continue, but the referee stepped in about 10 seconds later because Benavidez could no longer protect himself.
Crawford, 31, improves to 34-0 (25 KOs) with the win and retains his WBO welterweight title. Benavidez, 26, suffered the first loss of his career and is now 27-1.
A pair of undefeated fighters who still have yet to throw hands in the ring recently decided to do so on Twitter instead.
Unified junior welterweight titlist Terence Crawford (29-0, 20 KOs) called out WBC welterweight champion Danny Garcia (32-0, 18 KOs) on Twitter earlier this week, challenging him to a fight. Crawford was apparently irked by comments made by Garcia’s father/trainer Angel labeling Crawford a “make believe champion” in an interview with FightHype.com.
Crawford, who was referencing his unanimous decision victory over Viktor Postol in July, was quickly obliged by Garcia, who proceeded to question the legitimacy of Crawford’s wins over Postol and Cuban boxer Yuriorkis Gamboa.
The two would go back and forth from there with Crawford casting doubt on Garcia’s own opponents and Garcia poking fun at Crawford’s pay-per-view buys and telling him to get his Top Rank promoter Bob Arum to call Al Haymon, Garcia’s manager.
Crawford would likely have to move up in weight to face Garcia, but his speed/technical ability versus the power/timing of Garcia would make for quite the entertaining matchup. Still, a bout is unlikely to happen given the Arum/Haymon Cold War and that both fighters stand to take a sizable marketability hit by losing their undefeated status.
Regardless of whether or not a fight gets done, bad blood in boxing is always fun, so it’s worth keeping an eye on to see if Crawford-Garcia becomes the sport’s next great rivalry.
Image Credit: Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports
Manny Pacquiao is scheduled to fight again in November, though his opponent has not yet been unannounced. Some have talked about him fighting Bud Crawford, who just beat Viktor Postol last weekend. But Pac-Man’s trainer Freddie Roach does not want his fighter facing Crawford just yet.
Roach told Boxing News that he is concerned about the type of preparation and camp Pacquiao would have, meaning someone less challenging would be better.
“At the moment everyone is mentioning Terence Crawford but I don’t like that fight for November,” Roach told Boxing News. “Almost the entire training camp would be in the Philippines, we wouldn’t be able to fly back to the States until 12 days before the fight.
“We’ll also be training in the evenings because Manny will be working in the senate all day, so it won’t be the best camp. Crawford is a great athlete and I wouldn’t want Manny going into that fight if he’s not 100 per cent. I want the November fight to be more of a warm up fight and then for Manny to fight again shortly after – I want it to be a two-fight deal.”
Credit to Roach for telling it like it is. Crawford is 29-0 with 20 knockouts and appears to be quite dangerous at 140 pounds. Given all of Pacquiao’s limitations because of his new job as a senator, facing Crawford in November might be too much to handle for now. That could lead promoter Bob Arum to try arranging things with Adrien Broner, whose financial demands were too great for Top Rank.