Marwin Gonzalez becomes first player involved in Astros scandal to express regret
Houston Astros players have said hardly anything since Major League Baseball confirmed they were cheating throughout their World Series season in 2017, but Marwin Gonzalez has made it clear he regrets what happened.
Gonzalez, who is now with the Minnesota Twins but played for the Astros from 2012 to 2018, spoke to the media on Tuesday about the sign-stealing scandal. He said he is “remorseful” over what happened and acknowledged that the cheating had a direct impact on other players around the league.
Marwin Gonzalez’s opening statement to the media:
“I’m remorseful for everything that happened in 2017, for everything that we did as a group, and for the players that were affected directly by us doing this … That’s why I feel more regret and that’s why I’m remorseful.” pic.twitter.com/G35XwK2xkB
— Do-Hyoung Park (@dohyoungpark) February 11, 2020
It is probably easier for Gonzalez to apologize now that he no longer plays for the Astros. It’s worth noting that Gonzalez had by far his best season in the majors in 2017, as he hit .303 with 23 home runs, 90 RBI and an OPS of .907 — all career highs. Gonzalez is a career .264 hitter who hit .247 with the Astros in 2018 and .264 in Minnesota last year.
Most players who are still with the Astros have remained silent, though team owner Jim Crane said there will be an apology at some point during spring training. Alex Bregman practically dismissed MLB’s findings and called a newer allegation against the Astros “stupid.” The star third baseman also said he and his teammates will do their talking on the field next season.
Scott Boras recently explained why he doesn’t think Astros players owe anyone an apology, but apparently Gonzalez does not agree.
The Houston Astros are confirmed cheaters and deserve an asterisk. Send that message by wearing our Houston Asterisks T-shirt! You can buy it here: