Harrison Barnes to decline $25 million option, become free agent
Harrison Barnes said last month that he was undecided about whether he wanted to opt into the final year of his contract with the Sacramento Kings, but the veteran swingman has decided to become a free agent.
ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reports that Barnes is declining his $25.1 million player option for the 2019-20 season, though he is open to returning to the Kings on a new deal.
Sacramento Kings forward Harrison Barnes is declining his $25.1M player option and becoming an unrestricted free agent, his agent, Jeff Schwartz of Excel Sports, tells ESPN. Barnes, 27, and Kings are open to exploring a new deal together this summer, sources said.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) June 18, 2019
Barnes averaged 16.0 points and 4.9 rebounds per game in his time split between Sacramento and the Dallas Mavericks last season. Even if he can’t secure a contract worth $25 million per year, he should be able to land a deal that gives him much more long-term security.