Anthony Pettis went straight savage after his knockout win over Wonderboy Thompson on Saturday night at UFC Nashville.
Pettis knocked Thompson out with a Superman punch with five seconds remaining in the second round. After the fight was waved off, Pettis licked his own blood as part of his celebration.
Anthony Pettis drinking his own blood after a Superman KO has been better than all of March Madness pic.twitter.com/CM2SI5NqAs
— Jack McGuire (@JackMacCFB) March 24, 2019
After fighting at lightweight and even featherweight, this was quite a showing at welterweight for Pettis. He now seems to be angling for another shot at Rafael dos Anjos.
I’ll take care of Lee first then I’ll see you Pettis. Great win btw.
— Rafael dos Anjos (@RdosAnjosMMA) March 24, 2019
Pettis (22-8) lost to dos Anjos at UFC 185 and wants revenge.
- Filed Under:
- Anthony Pettis
Conor McGregor last fought in October and is apparently targeting a return to the octagon this year.
McGregor has been making his way around the country recently, including an appearance at a Boston Bruins game where he dropped the ceremonial puck. He was in Chicago for St. Patrick’s Day on Sunday and was interviewed by ABC 7. He told them he’s in negotiations and aiming for a July fight.
“Yes, we’re currently in negotiations, we’re aiming for July, we’ll see what happens,” McGregor told ABC 7 in Chicago, via MMA Mania. “I am staying ready. This morning I was doing incline sprints on the treadmill on my program, the McGregorFast program, today in a hotel room. So we’re staying on it, getting work in as we go.”
Conor Mcgregor's @ABC7Chicago Interview from the Chicago St. Patrick's Day Parade! Check out his official Sash and Green shoes! @TheNotoriousMMA #ConorMcgregor #Irish #Chicago #ProperTwelve @ProperWhiskey #ufc #chicagoriver #stpattyday pic.twitter.com/4RGoJpmSdp
— Noko E Kim (@NokoKim) March 16, 2019
McGregor is coming off a loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov and has actually been defeated twice in his last four fights. There has been talk of him facing Cowboy Cerrone, though it’s not as much of a done deal as was previously indicated. News of McGregor scheduling another fight would be a welcome change in the dialogue surrounding him following his recent arrest.
H/T Bloody Elbow
Dana White was among those who believed Mikey Garcia had a chance to overcome long odds and capture the IBF welterweight title on Saturday night. Unfortunately, the UFC president put his money where his mouth was.
Garcia, who entered Saturday’s bout having never lost a fight, was a +230 underdog against also-undefeated Errol Spence Jr. White bet $10,000 on Garcia for a chance to win $23,000.
— FOX Sports: PBC (@PBConFOX) March 17, 2019
Spence won the fight in dominant fashion with a unanimous decision. He outlanded Garcia 345 to 75, and he had a clear power advantage with 51 percent of power shots landed compared to just 18.5 percent for Garcia.
Simply put, the fight wasn’t close. Despite how confident Garcia was in calling out Spence last year, he was clearly outclassed. White and many others got burned by going for the big payday.
Jorge Masvidal got a funny edit to his Wikipedia page after his backstage fight with Leon Edwards on Saturday.
Masvidal knocked out Darren Till in the second round of their bout at UFC Fight Night in London. During an interview after his win, Masvidal was taunted by Edwards, so he went over and gave him a combination (beware of a curse word):
— Dagnaldinho (@Dagnaldinho) March 16, 2019
Some fans got clever after seeing Masvidal handle Edwards and edited his Wikipedia page accordingly. They gave him a second win on his record, complete with funny explanations for the victories
— Jay Mach (@jasonmach) March 17, 2019
— Christian Flores (@christianmf18) March 17, 2019
One edit even changed Masvidal’s name to “The Leon Edwards Killer.”
The Internet needs to chill lol. Masvidal's new wiki entries are jokes pic.twitter.com/uMG1XExXZy
— Dom Punt (@dompunt) March 17, 2019
The folks on the net don’t waste anytime. Maybe this will be a taste of what’s to come in the summer.
Tip via Big Daddy
- Filed Under:
The attorney for Conor McGregor issued a statement on Monday evening in response to his client’s arrest.
McGregor was arrested Monday after allegedly knocking a cellphone out of a fan’s hands, throwing it on the ground, smashing it, and then taking it away. The incident allegedly took place in the morning outside Fontainebleau Hotel in Miami Beach, and McGregor was arrested later in the day.
“Last evening Conor McGregor was involved in a minor altercation over a cell phone that resulted in a call to law enforcement. Mr. McGregor appreciates the response of law enforcement and pledges his full cooperation,” the attorney said in a statement.
McGregor was arrested on charges of strong arm robbery and criminal mischief, both felonies.
MBPD has arrested and charged Conor McGregor, DOB: 7/14/88, with Strong Arm Robbery and Criminal Mischief, both felonies. Please see arrest report and booking photo below. No additional information will be provided. pic.twitter.com/9HdkRWPnd8
— Miami Beach Police (@MiamiBeachPD) March 12, 2019
McGregor was released from jail after posting bond.
Conor McGregor is in trouble with the law again.
McGregor was arrested on Monday for a cellphone incident with a fan outside a hotel in Miami Beach. Here is the booking information.
— Sheldon Fox-7 News (@fox_sheldon) March 11, 2019
The police report states that McGregor and the alleged victim were walking out of the Fontainebleau Hotel, where popular nightclub LIV is located, around 5:00 a.m. The fan claims he tried to take a photo with McGregor, who then knocked the phone out of the fan’s hand. McGregor then allegedly stomped on the phone, damaging it, and then picked up the phone and walked away with it.
McGregor has been booked for felony strong-armed robbery and felony criminal mischief. The Miami Herald says the incident was captured on video. McGregor was not immediately arrested but was later picked up after detectives spent the day investigating the matter.
Reports are swirling that Georges St-Pierre is planning to announce his retirement this week after he failed to work out a deal for a fight against Khabib Nurmagomedov, but Khabib says he is willing to help make the bout happen.
A French-language report from Benoit Beaudoin of RDS claims St-Pierre will announce his retirement in a press conference at the Bell Centre in Montreal on Thursday.
BREAKING: @BenBeaudoinRDS reports that Georges St-Pierre plans on announcing his retirement at a press conference tomorrow morning at the Bell Centre in Montreal.
This comes as a result of failed negotiations for a bout between him and lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov. https://t.co/d1cfHGIQvY
— Aaron Bronsteter (@aaronbronsteter) February 20, 2019
Shortly after that report surfaced, Khabib took to Instagram and said he wants to fight GSP in November. He also said he grew up watching St-Pierre and has “nothing but respect” for the former middleweight and welterweight champion.
View this post on Instagram
Let’s do it in November. After this fight you can retire. I grow up on your fights, and have nothing but respect for you, and I believe showed that to you George when you were in Moscow. But, it would be honor for me to share Octagon with one of the greatest fighters of all time. Let’s do it 155 lbs, or I give away 5lbs to you, cause you newer done 155. Well, it’s your choice 155 or 160, Montreal, NYC, Moscow or Abu Dhabi. Send me location my Friend #GSPvsKHABIB #ufc #mma #history #RUSSIAvsCANADA
A post shared by Khabib Nurmagomedov (@khabib_nurmagomedov) on
Khabib said he is willing to fight at 155 or 160 pounds, and he also offered to let GSP set the location. However, things may not be as simple as the two agreeing to a fight, as UFC president Dana White said last year that GSP has to face a contender before he can earn a shot at Nurmagomedov.
GSP basically walked away from mixed martial arts in 2013, but he returned in 2017 to defeat Michael Bisping and win the UFC middleweight title. He hasn’t fought since and has vacated the belt due to a bout with ulcerative colitis. There was talk last year about matching St-Pierre with a different opponent, but he was not interested in that.
It’s unclear if Khabib’s willingness to fight GSP will be enough for him to put his retirement on hold, especially since White previously said St-Pierre can’t just jump over contenders to face Khabib.