Martavis Bryant reportedly expected to sign with Raiders, play amid appeal
The Oakland Raiders may have cut Martavis Bryant earlier this month, but they’re bringing him back, according to a report.
NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reported on Tuesday that Bryant and the Raiders are closing in on a 1-year-deal. He says Bryant would be expected to play in the team’s Week 2 game against Denver.
The #Raiders and Martavis Bryant are closing in on a 1-year deal — and barring any hiccup, he's expected to play this week, per team source. Not officially signed yet, but they called him this morning and it's expected to get done today. Quite the twist.
— Tom Pelissero (@TomPelissero) September 11, 2018
Bryant was released amid a report saying he was facing a suspension from the NFL, pending an appeal. ESPN’s Adam Schefter says the receiver is facing a year-long suspension, which would be the second of his career (he was suspended for all of 2016).
The Raiders passed for over 300 yards in a loss to the Rams on Monday night, but the bulk of the yardage (108) went to tight end Jared Cook. What’s interesting is that Pelissero says the Raiders reached out to Bryant, seemingly indicating they are desperate for wide receiver help.