pixel 1
header
Saturday, June 6, 2020

Jon Jones issues statement after reaching plea deal for DWI

Jon Jones

Jon Jones issued a statement on Tuesday after reaching a plea deal in his DWI case earlier in the day.

Jones was arrested on March 26 for alleged DWI and a gun charge. He failed three field sobriety tests and a breathalyzer showed his blood alcohol content to be twice the legal limit.

On Tuesday, the UFC star reached a plea deal that will punish him with house arrest, probation, outpatient therapy, and a fine.

“While we all work to understand and cope with stress and uncertainties surrounding the current state of our world, I want to express how truly disappointed I am that I have become the source of a negative headline again, especially during these trying times,” Jones said. “I am disappointed for letting down the people I care about the most – my family, friends and my fans. This morning I entered into a plea deal with the Albuquerque DA’s office. I accept full responsibility for my actions, and I know that I have some personal work to do to which involves the unhealthy relationship I have with alcohol,” Jones said in a statement via his publicist.

“I have dedicated so much time and energy to improve my community, and I will not allow this personal setback to hinder my work within the community when we need it most. I truly appreciate the support I have received from the community of Albuquerque and all my fans around the world. I very much look forward to putting this behind me. Thank you all for your continued love and support and please take care of yourselves.”

The 32-year-old fighter has had numerous legal issues. He had a DUI in 2012, a hit-and-run incident in 2015, and numerous failed drug tests.

Read more LBS stories:

Subscribe and Listen to the Podcast!

Sports News Minute Podcast

Comments

comments powered by Disqus