Kareem Hunt is quite confident that the Cleveland Browns won’t regret giving him a second chance.
Hunt, released by the Kansas City Chiefs over video that showed him shoving and kicking a woman, has the support of Browns coach Freddie Kitchens, and made clear Wednesday that he does not intend to let Cleveland down.
#Browns coach Freddie Kitchens says of Kareem Hunt, “Everybody in life has messed up. Not everyone gets second chances.” Promises Hunt understands and is grateful for his. Thirty mins later, Hunt says, “I know I’m not going to mess this up.”
— Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) May 15, 2019
Hunt will have to wait half a season to prove himself. His return will prove controversial, but the Browns have decided, for better or worse, that Hunt is worth the risk.
The NFL has suspended Kareem Hunt eight games for the physical altercation he had with a woman last year, and the star running back has once again apologized for his actions.
After the league announced Hunt’s punishment on Friday, he released a statement through the Cleveland Browns saying he respects the NFL’s decision and is committed to “earning the trust of the league, my teammates, the organization and this community.”
NFL announces suspension for RB Kareem Hunt
Statement from Hunt: pic.twitter.com/AAzopWOMkc
— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) March 15, 2019
Hunt was waived by the Kansas City Chiefs back in November after a video surfaced that showed him shoving and kicking a woman at a hotel. The Browns were likely prepared for him to be suspended even longer than eight games. Cleveland GM John Dorsey was with the Chiefs when they drafted Hunt, and he has said he trusts that the 23-year-old “showed true remorse” and is taking the appropriate steps to improve as a person by undergoing treatment.
The NFL has made a decision regarding Kareem Hunt, and the running back will be forced to sit out the first half of the 2019 season.
On Friday, the NFL announced that Hunt has been suspended eight games for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. He will not appeal.
The #Browns had expected 8 to 10 games for RB Kareem Hunt when they signed him. It turns out to be 8, as the league says Hunt accepts the punishment and did not appeal.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) March 15, 2019
The Browns took a chance by signing Hunt without knowing what the extent of the disciplinary action would be, but many were expecting the star running back to be suspended for much longer.
Hunt was waived by the Chiefs back in November after a video surfaced that showed him shoving and kicking a woman at a hotel. Browns general manager John Dorsey was with the Chiefs at the time they drafted Hunt, and he said he believes the 23-year-old has “showed true remorse” and is taking the appropriate steps to improve as a person by undergoing treatment.
Kareem Hunt will get a second chance in the NFL at some point thanks to the Cleveland Browns, and the star running back is once again expressing remorse for the actions that resulted in him being cut by the Kansas City Chiefs during the 2018 season.
Shortly after the Browns announced on Monday that they have signed Hunt, the former third-round pick released a statement through the team admitting what he did was “wrong and inexcusable.” He also thanked the Browns and general manager John Dorsey and said he will work to earn their trust.
Statement from RB Kareem Hunt: pic.twitter.com/JPRFnkRdCy
— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) February 11, 2019
Hunt was waived by the Chiefs back in November after a video surfaced that showed him shoving and kicking a woman at a hotel. He is expected to be suspended for a large portion of the 2019 season after the NFL completes its investigation, but Hunt is just 23 and received interest from plenty of teams.
Dorsey was the GM of the Chiefs when they drafted Hunt, so there is plenty of familiarity between the two.
Kareem Hunt was cut by the Kansas City Chiefs back in November immediately after a video surfaced that showed him shoving a kicking a woman, but it did not take long for the star running back to find a new team.
On Monday, the Cleveland Browns announced they have signed Hunt to a contract. General manager John Dorsey, who was in the same position with the Chiefs when Kansas City drafted Hunt, released a statement explaining the decision.
Statement from GM John Dorsey: pic.twitter.com/TUgoBalvkg
— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) February 11, 2019
Dorsey said the Browns feel Hunt has “showed true remorse” and is taking the appropriate steps to improve as a person by undergoing treatment.
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the deal is for one year and could be worth more than $1 million.
The #Browns signed RB Kareem Hunt to a 1-year deal that could be worth more than $1M not factoring in the suspension, source said. More than the minimum. After this year, he’ll be an RFA.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 11, 2019
Hunt, 23, was a superstar with the Chiefs before the footage of him assaulting a woman went public. He racked up more than 1,000 yards from scrimmage and scored 14 total touchdowns prior to Kansas City parting ways with him, so it’s no surprise multiple teams expressed interest in him.
The NFL still has not determined what the extent of Hunt’s discipline will be, but he is expected to be suspended for multiple games in 2019.
It seems likely that Kareem Hunt will be welcomed back into the NFL by someone at some point, and two teams are reportedly sniffing around.
According to NFL reporter Benjamin Allbright, the Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills have considered signing Hunt, though neither has taken any steps to do so at this point.
No. Chicago and Buffalo were considering sniffing around was what I had heard. https://t.co/E8hriYAGwO
— Benjamin Allbright (@AllbrightNFL) February 11, 2019
The Bears’ interest has been openly discussed by members of the organization, and coach Matt Nagy was Hunt’s offensive coordinator for a year in Kansas City. The Bills, however, have not been linked before.
Hunt was released by the Chiefs after video emerged of him attacking a woman. He still faces NFL discipline, which is a factor any team that acquires him must consider.
One prominent Chicago Bears player has no qualms whatsoever about Kareem Hunt potentially joining the roster.
Speaking with reporters on Friday, Bears wide receiver Allen Robinson indicated that he would embrace the embattled free agent running back.
“From when I met [him] and everything like that, for us to bring him into our locker room, I think guys would welcome him with open arms,” Robinson said, per Patrick Finley of the Chicago Sun-Times. “He’d be one of us … A guy they’d bring into our locker room would be our brother.”
Robinson also said that Hunt seemed like a “good dude” based on the handful of times he had interacted with the former Kansas City Chiefs star. He did add however that he was not clear about the details surrounding Hunt’s release upon the emergence of a video showing him kicking and pushing a woman outside a hotel room last year.
From a pure football standpoint, the Bears could foreseeably stand to upgrade from their talented but modest-upside duo of Jordan Howard and Tarik Cohen in the backfield. That said, Hunt obviously comes with significant baggage and ethical questions that are already scaring some other teams off.