Floyd Mayweather Jr. has had no shortage of family problems over the years, and that continued recently when one of his children seemingly called him out on social media.
Mayweather’s 16-year-old daughter Jirah, whose mother Josie Harris died of an accidental drug overdose earlier this year, sent a tweet this week implying that Floyd is selfish. Jirah said it has been difficult for her to transition from a “parent who put (your) happiness before theirs to a parent who puts their happiness before yours.”
going from a parent who put ur happiness before theirs to a parent who puts their happiness before yours is probably one of the most frustrating thing ever.
Mayweather responded to the tweet with a post on Instagram expressing his love for Jirah.
“@jirahmilan, I will always love you unconditionally and always know that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to. There is no limit to how far you can go in life. Always put God first and everything else will fall in place,” the undefeated boxer wrote, via a screenshot captured by The Shade Room.
Conor McGregor made fans think he had a legitimate chance to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. a few years back when he came out and took the first three rounds, but Floyd insists that was all part of his plan. Looking back on the 2017 bout, Mayweather makes it seem like it was a fairly easy win.
As Jack Fig of The Sun pointed out, Mayweather told Drink Champs earlier this year that he did not train all that hard in advance of his fight against McGregor. He insists he took the match seriously but said there were stretches where he would go a week without getting in the gym.
“For Conor McGregor, I didn’t really train,” Mayweather said. “All I did was do push-ups and sit-ups. That’s all I did. Push-ups and sit-ups, box a few times, hit the bag a few times.”
Mayweather’s conditioning was clearly superior to McGregor’s, which is why Floyd won by TKO in the 10th round. McGregor looked like he had barely anything left in the tank late in the fight.
Mayweather’s win over McGregor gave him a record of 50-0 for his career, and he said after the fight that he was retired. He has since teased a return on a few different occasions, but no official plans have been announced.
Now that Mike Tyson has officially come out of retirement for an exhibition match against Roy Jones Jr., current and former fighters are going to line up in hopes of having a chance to face one of the greatest heavyweights of all time. Kevin McBride, the last opponent Tyson faced in the ring during his career, is one of those who would love another shot.
McBride defeated Tyson by TKO on June 11, 2005, when Tyson quit on his stool before the seventh round. Iron Mike said after the fight that he only did it for the money and no longer had passion for the sport. In an interview with TMZ this week, McBride made it clear he would welcome another opportunity to go toe-to-toe with Tyson.
“After this fight with Roy Jones if he wants a rematch with me and someone puts up a couple million — I’m open to it if he gets a couple million or whoever gets a couple million,” McBride said. “I’ve got a couple of lovely kids and a lovely wife. I’d love to put my kids through college for free. … It would be a dream to fight him again.”
McBride said his boss at his current day job is a “boxing fanatic” and already said he’d give him time off to train and fight if Tyson is interested, so it’s obviously something McBride has been discussing in his personal life. When pressed further and asked if he’s serious about a potential rematch, the 47-year-old said he is not joking.
“My message to Mike is, ‘Let’s get it on!'” McBride said. “I’d definitely love to fight him again.”
A Tyson-McBride rematch almost certainly is not going to happen. If Tyson decides to keep going with his exhibition tour after fighting Jones next month, other legends who would draw a much bigger audience than McBride have already expressed interest. Still, you can’t blame McBride for trying to get himself back on Tyson’s radar.
Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr. will square off in an exhibition bout next month, and fighters typically do not try to injure one another in situations like that. Not surprisingly, Tyson seems like he is treating the match like it’s another heavyweight title fight.
California State Athletic Commission executive director Andy Foster told Yahoo Sports recently that Tyson and Jones will be wearing gloves that are larger than normal and not trying to “take each other’s heads off.”
“This isn’t a situation where they’re going out there to try to take each other’s heads off,” Foster said. “They’re just going to be in there moving around the ring and letting fans see these legends.”
Floyd Mayweather Jr. believes he knows why Manny Pacquiao continues to fight.
Mayweather is 43 and has only fought once since Sept. 2015. That fight came against Conor McGregor, who is an champion MMA fighter and had never previously had a pro boxing fight.
By contrast, Pacquiao is 41 and has fought six times since facing Mayweather in 2015.
So why does Pac-Man continue to fight? Mayweather says “money” is the reason.
“Pacquiao fight because he have to. Once again, I fight if I want to, so there’s a difference,” Mayweather said in an interview posted by Fight Hype on YouTube.
Mayweather says he has gotten so big that it’s only worth it to him to fight if it’s against someone with a whole country behind them, like McGregor with Ireland, or even Pacquiao with the Philippines. Still, Mayweather says he is a businessman now and prioritizes his health over everything; it’s just not worth it for him to box.
Pacquiao has long had a massive entourage and been extremely generous with his money, which could explain why he continues to fight. The senator has some more pressing matters to focus on for the time being though.
Mike Tyson has been teasing for quite some time that he wants to make a boxing comeback, and there is apparently a set plan in place for that to become a reality.
Tyson will fight Roy Jones Jr. in an 8-round exhibition match on Sept. 12, according to a report from TMZ. The event, which has been titled “Frontline Battle” will be available on pay-per-view and the social media platform Triller. It will take place in California and be sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission.
Triller is a growing social media platform that is looking to compete with TikTok. TMZ reports that the network has also secured the rights to a 10-part documentary series leading up to the Tyson-Jones fight. The plan is for users to be able to stream two parts of the documentary each week leading up to the fight.
Tyson, 54, is three years older than Jones. Tyson’s last fight came in 2005, while Jones actually won a fight as recently as February of 2018. Jones is 66-9 in his career while Tyson is 50-6. Both fighters were previously heavyweight champions, and Jones also held titles in other weight classes.