
The Minnesota Vikings care very much about keeping Adrian Peterson happy.
How do we know this? Because the team announced on Tuesday that Peterson’s contract has been restructured by way of a “mutual” agreement.
“This agreement is a win for both Adrian and the Vikings and is a positive step toward Adrian finishing his career as a Minnesota Viking,” Vikings GM Rick Spielman said in a statement. “As we have consistently said, Adrian is a valuable part of the Vikings organization and we look forward to his return to the field.”
Peterson thanked the team.
“I appreciate the Vikings for working together on this restructured contract, which provides additional security for me but also allows opportunities for me to further prove my value to the team and within the NFL,” he said. “It was important for me to continue my career in Minnesota, and I cannot wait to get on the field in front of Vikings fans again.”
As expected, Peterson has reportedly received more guaranteed money. In return, the Vikings were able to lower his cap number for the next three seasons. Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports reports that Peterson will get more guaranteed money in 2015 and 2016, but the team can probably cut ties with him when he turns 33 in 2017.
Peterson spent a good portion of the early offseason trying to force his way out of Minnesota, but he had no leverage. When his power play inevitably didn’t work, he demanded more money from the team and went on this ridiculous Twitter rant about contracts.
The *problem* is Peterson had already been paid the $36 million guaranteed that the Vikings owe him, meaning his roster spot for 2015 and beyond was not protected. Now that the Vikings have to pay him more money, they’re less likely to cut him. Minnesota will also have more money to spend on other players (and a happy superstar), so it makes sense for all parties.
Even when it doesn’t seem like it, players obviously have leverage in certain situations. This was a perfect example of that.













