Vikings coach adamantly denies having interest in Richie Incognito
Richie Incognito wants to play football this season now that the Buffalo Bills have released him, and he recently said at least two teams have expressed interest in him. One of those teams says Incognito is a liar.
In an interview with TMZ, Incognito listed the Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks as two teams he has been in contact with this offseason. Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer was asked about that claim on Tuesday, and he said it is “totally false.”
Mike Zimmer asked about Richie Incognito saying the Vikings reached out to him. His response: “No interest and totally false. Tweet that.”
— Courtney Cronin (@CourtneyRCronin) August 7, 2018
If not for all the controversy surrounding him, Incognito probably would have found work by now. The veteran center made the Pro Bowl in each of his past three seasons with the Bills, so there’s no reason to think he still can’t play at a high level even at age 35.
However, the off-field concerns for Incognito are extensive. He was at the center of the Jonathan Martin bullying scandal several years back, and he was detained for an involuntary psychiatric evaluation following an incident at a gym earlier this offseason. More recently, Incognito enthusiastically defended former teammate LeSean McCoy, who is being investigated for his alleged role in an attack on his ex-girlfriend.
Incognito may eventually find a desperate team that is willing to overlook his red flags, but apparently the Vikings are not going to be that team.