The New York Giants and Jason Pierre-Paul have reportedly come to an agreement on a long-term contract extension.
The Giants prevented Pierre-Paul from testing free agency by using the franchise tag on him, but the goal all along was to sign the star defensive end to a multiyear deal. According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Media, the two sides accomplished that goal on Friday.
The #Giants and star pass-rusher Jason Pierre-Paul have agreed to terms on a multi-year contract, source said. Huge.
Rapoport later added that the deal spans four years.
Pierre-Paul recorded seven sacks in 12 games last season before needing surgery to repair a sports hernia. He was among the best players in the NFL at pressuring the quarterback, so he proved he can still play at a high level even in the wake of a horrific fireworks accident that cost him a good portion of his hand two offseasons ago.
This does not come as a surprise, and Pierre-Paul probably won’t be thrilled. After his 2015 fireworks accident, he came back in 2016 and collected seven sacks in 12 games, proving he could still play at a high level. He’s still just 28, too. You can understand why the Giants did not want to lose him.
The New York Giants are going to have to pay big bucks to keep Jason Pierre-Paul around, and early indications are that they are willing to do that.
Ralph Vacchiano of SNY said this week that the Giants are planning to be “aggressive” in trying to sign Pierre-Paul to an extension. However, they may run into some issues with the salary cap, as they already have two defensive linemen in Damon Harrison, who signed a five-year, $46.25 million contract last offseason, and Olivier Vernon, who set the market last year with a five-year, $85 million deal that includes $52 million guaranteed.
So how can the Giants afford to pay top dollar to yet another member of their front seven?
That’s likely where the “aggressive” part comes in. Pierre-Paul has already said he has no intention of signing another short-term deal, but the Giants could get him for slightly less if they are able to come to an agreement before the start of free agency next month. Even if he is not planning to sign another one-year deal, perhaps JPP will show some loyalty to a team that stuck with him through a horrific accident.
One option for the Giants could be the franchise tag, but that would take up about half of the $35 million in cap space they currently have heading into 2017. The ideal scenario for New York is to get Pierre-Paul to sign a long-term extension before testing the market.
Jason Pierre-Paul proved last season that he is still capable of being a difference maker even after a fireworks mishap cost him a portion of his hand, and his impressive play could make it difficult for the New York Giants to sign him long-term. But do they have to?
The Giants used the franchise tag on Pierre-Paul back in 2015, but he never ended up playing under it. He instead signed a one-year “prove-it” contract worth less money to show he can still play at a high level in the wake of his unfortunate accident.
Pierre-Paul recorded seven sacks in 12 games last season before needing surgery to repair a sports hernia. He was also among the best players in the NFL at pressuring the quarterback, so he can expect to earn around $15 million per year on the open market. Considering he’s only 28, the Giants may be willing to pay JPP slightly more with the franchise tag to prevent him from hitting the open market.
The Giants could have used Pierre-Paul in their blowout loss to the Green Bay Packers Sunday night. Pierre-Paul has bounced back from a brutal fireworks mishap more than a year ago, and he had a pretty good season in 2016. Despite missing four games, JPP recorded seven sacks and tied his career high with three forced fumbles. He was also among the best players in the league in quarterback hurries.
When you see the way Pierre-Paul’s right hand looks now, you’ll understand why he felt he needed to prove he can still play at a high level. While he didn’t match his 12.5-sack season from 2014, he could have gotten close if he didn’t miss four games. Pierre-Paul should have no problem finding a team to sign him to a multi-year deal if the Giants aren’t willing to.
After officially clinching a postseason berth in Week 16, the positive developments continue for the New York Giants.
According to a report by Jordan Ranaan of ESPN on Tuesday, the Giants are hopeful that defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul will be able to return in time for the wild-card round of the playoffs on the weekend of January 7-8.
The 27-year-old Pierre Paul, who has recorded 53 combined tackles, three forced fumbles, and 7.0 sacks in 12 games this season, has been out since undergoing surgery on a core muscle earlier this month.
If this timetable he was initially given holds true, the two-time Pro Bowler would be looking at a return to the field some time closer to mid-to-late January. But the news that Pierre-Paul might be available right from the get-go of the postseason is huge for one of the NFL’s scariest defensive lines.
A photo posted by Jason Pierre-Paul (@iamjasonpierrepaul) on
The Giants are set to take on the explosive Dallas Cowboys this weekend, so the timing certainly is not ideal. Pierre-Paul has proven that he can still make an impact even after mangling his hand in a fireworks mishap, as he has recorded seven sacks this season and has played like the explosive player we grew used to seeing prior to the accident.
With Pierre-Paul having signed a one-year “prove it” deal with the Giants last offseason, there’s a possibility he has played his last snap with the team.