YouTube overrules NASCAR’s decision to block fan video of crash
A video of the brutal crash at Daytona International Speedway Saturday that was shot from a fan’s perspective is visible on YouTube after the website overruled NASCAR’s attempt to block the video on grounds of copyright infringement.
NASCAR’s official YouTube channel uploaded video of the 12-car wreck that took place at the end of the Drive4COPD 300. However, NASCAR blocked a fan’s video that was uploaded to YouTube because of a copyright violation.
The fan’s video provides a look at what it was like for people in the stands to witness the crash unfold in front of them. As Yahoo! Sports’ Jay Busbee reports, NASCAR retains rights to all video shot at the track.
NASCAR later said in a statement: “The fan video of the wreck on the final lap of today’s NASCAR Nationwide Series race was blocked on YouTube out of respect for those injured in today’s accident. Information on the status of those fans was unclear and the decision was made to err on the side of caution with this very serious incident.”
The fan’s video had been ripped and re-uploaded on various other sites, but it turns out that was unnecessary; YouTube overruled NASCAR and made the blocked videos available again.
“Our partners and users do not have the right to take down videos from YouTube unless they contain content which is copyright infringing, which is why we have reinstated the videos,” a YouTube spokesperson told The Washington Post.
The video shows fans calling for medical attention after car parts and debris go up into the stands. A tire from Kyle Larson’s No. 32 car ends up in the stands just a few feet away from the spectator who shot the video:
According to multiple reports, at least 28 people were injured as a result of the crash.
H/T The Verge