Andy Ruiz Jr. and Anthony Joshua may have been fighting halfway around the world in Saudi Arabia on Saturday, but that did not stop Canelo Alvarez from attending.
Alvarez, who is the marquee fighter for DAZN, was in Saudi Arabia for the fight televised on the subscription network. Canelo, who was said to be on a world tour, was in attendance with girlfriend Fernanda Gomez. Canelo embraced Ruiz before the fight:
As for Canelo, he beat Sergey Kovalev in November and may face Joe Saunders or Callum Smith next.
Sources: Canelo Alvarez’s next fight could take place at 168 pounds and two names being considered are Billy Joe Saunders and Callum Smith. Each man holds a super middleweight title; Alvarez holds a secondary title at ‘68 and can become full-fledged four-division champ with a win
Deontay Wilder is the best knockout artist in boxing and proved that once again.
Wilder knocked out Luis Ortiz with a massive right hand during the seventh round of their fight at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday night. Ortiz was knocked to the canvas and unable to make the 10-count, ending the bout.
Wilder hadn’t been doing much through the first six rounds and was criticized for not throwing many punches. But when you have the kind of power he does, it doesn’t matter because you can always end it with one punch, just like he did.
Wilder is now 42-0-1 with 41 of his wins coming by knockout. A rematch against Tyson Fury awaits. The two fought to a draw last year in an incredibly exciting fight. Their rematch will be heavily anticipated.
Floyd Mayweather Jr. has gone into and come out of retirement more than Michael Jordan, Brett Favre and Roger Clemens combined. And now the retired boxer says he is coming out of retirement yet again.
Mayweather shared a photo on Instagram Thursday night of him sitting next to Dana White courtside for Wednesday’s Clippers-Celtics game. He said in the post that he and White were working together on a big event for 2020.
If you know anything about Mayweather’s career, there’s plenty of reason to hold back any excitement. The last time Mayweather claimed he was coming out of retirement, he ended up in a publicity stunt in Japan.
Mayweather is more of a promoter now than a fighter. His last boxing match was in 2017 against Conor McGregor, who is an MMA fighter by profession. Mayweather’s last real fight came in 2015. There is no reason to believe the 42-year-old is coming out of retirement for anything other than a P.R. stunt.
Canelo Alvarez beat Sergey Kovalev on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas with an 11th-round knockout that came out of nowhere.
The fight between the men was narrow by most accounts, with some writers having Kovalev ahead through 10 rounds and others seeing Alvarez as the leader. Either way, the fight did not feature many big power punches or much activity.
That all changed rapidly in the 11th.
Alvarez caught Kovalev with a massive left hook that dazed his opponent. Canelo finished him off with a right that sent Kovalev into the ropes and nearly knocked him out of the ring.
Those who wanted to watch the fight between Canelo Alvarez and Sergey Kovalev at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday night had to wait past 1:00 am ET due to competition on the fight night.
DAZN and Golden Boy Promotions decided to schedule the Alvarez-Kovalev fight card for the same night as UFC 244, which was already a pretty silly move. Despite the conflict, DAZN and Golden Boy recognized how popular the main event at UFC 244 headlined by Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal was, so they decided to hold off on starting the Canelo fight until after the MMA fight finished. The result was a lengthy wait between fights.
Ryan Garcia fought Romero Duno on the undercard just before the Canelo fight and won via first-round knockout. That fight was expected to go longer, but it ended a few minutes after 8:30 pm PT in Las Vegas. Since the fight ended so early, fans waited over 90 minutes before the Canelo fight to begin as the UFC card played out.
Canelo and Kovalev were literally waiting around on couches for an hour.
If the goal was to build some hype for Holyfield, the plan worked. The 21-year-old looked great and is now 1-0 with a first-minute knockout win. Of course, any questions about the legitimacy of Winstead (0-2) and the quick stoppage are fair.
Winstead really was not given much of a chance. Sure, he looked completely overwhelmed at first, but he wasn’t given a shot beyond the knockdown. Regardless, we’re excited to see Holyfield begin his career.
Boxing Hall of Famer, Oscar De La Hoya, has been accused of sexual assault by an unidentified San Bernardino, California woman who filed an October 17 lawsuit in the California Superior Court for Los Angeles County.
Greg Kirakosian, the attorney who represents “Jane Doe,” submitted the 10-page lawsuit, which claims De La Hoya became aggressive after the unnamed woman had refused a specific sexual act after a night that had, up until that point, been completely consensual.
“To date, Plaintiff continues to suffer from extreme distress, humiliation, indignation and outrage as a result of De La Hoya’s conduct,” the lawsuit said, via ESPN. “As a result of said distress, Plaintiff has suffered and continues to suffer constant and daily symptoms of depression, anxiety, and related symptoms associated with post-traumatic stress disorder.”
The lawsuit also claimed that De La Hoya “overpowered” the woman who later “screamed in pain” and left “in extreme shock and pain.” She sought care at a local Urgent Care and was allegedly prescribed medication for “extreme swelling and pain.”
The 46-year-old De La Hoya, who serves as the Golden Boy Promotions CEO, denied the allegations in a statement released by his representatives.
“A frivolous lawsuit was filed recently alleging that Oscar De La Hoya sexually assaulted ‘Jane Doe,’ which is completely false,” the statement from his spokesman read. “Oscar is a very successful businessman, running one of the country’s leading sports and entertainment companies — thus a prime target. It is worth noting that both recent lawsuits have been filed by the same attorney who is looking to make a name for himself. We vehemently deny these allegations and look forward to vigorously defending Oscar’s good name and reputation.”
The second lawsuit referenced, which was also filed in California Superior Court for Los Angeles County in early October, alleges that De La Hoya forced former Golden Boy Promotions employee, David “Tattoo” Gonzalez, to perform non-work-related personal errands.
Gonzalez also made allegations of neglect, emotional distress and non-payment.
The good news is Errol Spence Jr. survived his scary car crash. The bad news is he still has to face charges over it.
Dallas police said in a statement on Tuesday that Spence has been “charged with DWI, misdemeanor B. Mr. Spence has been released from the hospital and will need to address those charges. As for getting a speed of the vehicle, we will not be getting one.”
Spence, 29, was hospitalized after flipping his Ferrari multiple times while driving in Dallas early Thursday morning on October 10. Even though video showed his car flipping at a high speed, Spence did not suffer any broken bones or fractures.
Spence posted an update to his Instagram story on Wednesday night in which he called himself a “savage” for not suffering any broken bones.
Errol Spence has posted his first words since his car crash in a (now deleted) Instagram story which was put up and then taken down earlier this evening. pic.twitter.com/jhzRx0bQID
Errol Spence Jr.’s condition has been upgraded after the champion boxer was injured in a car crash on Thursday morning.
Spence’s publicity company sent out a statement later on Thursday to Larry Brown Sports and other outlets to say that the boxer is now in stable condition, an upgrade after he was in serious condition after the crash. Spence is expected to make a full recovery.
“Errol Spence Jr., IBF/WBC unified welterweight world champion, was involved in a serious, single-car accident in Dallas early Thursday morning and is being treated at a Dallas-area hospital. Spence is awake and responding and his condition is listed as stable. He did not sustain any broken bones or fractures, but has some facial lacerations. He is expected to make a full recovery,” the statement said.
“He is currently resting with his family by his side. They want to thank everyone for their prayers and well wishes and are extremely grateful to the Dallas first responders who rushed to the scene to attend to Errol after the accident and the doctors who are taking care of him at the hospital.”
Video shows Spence’s vehicle flipping over and rolling multiple times:
#BREAKING Exclusive video from a nearby security camera shows the crash that injured Championship Boxer Errol Spence Jr when he lost control of his Ferrari and it rolled multiple times ejecting him. Fortunately he survived and expected to be ok pic.twitter.com/2Z1xh9DDiA