Aroldis Chapman’s status as New York Yankees closer is in serious danger after another blown save on Sunday.
Chapman has allowed runs in four of his last five appearances following Sunday’s loss to the New York Mets in the first game of a doubleheader. The lefty took the mound in the seventh inning with a 5-4 lead and gave up a leadoff home run to Pete Alonso. He proceeded to hit Michael Conforto with a pitch and walk Jeff McNeil, at which point he was removed from the game. Both runners later scored, meaning Chapman was charged with three earned runs and a loss without recording a single out.
After the game, manager Aaron Boone admitted that with an off day Monday, Chapman’s role will be evaluated.
“We’ll continue to talk through that,” Boone said when asked about Chapman’s status as closer. “Obviously we’ve got another important one right now, so that’ll be something that we’ll talk after these games with the off day tomorrow. We’ll have to talk through that.”
Boone also questioned Chapman’s decision to throw a 1-2 slider to Alonso after the Mets first baseman had just swung and missed at a fastball, stating that he didn’t “think that was the right spot for that.”
Chapman’s troubles started June 10, when he gave up a pair of two-run home runs in the 9th inning of a 7-5 loss to Minnesota. Since then, the 33-year-old has given up 14 earned runs in 5.2 innings, and his ERA has risen from 0.39 to 4.71.
The Yankees sit at .500, and those around the team aren’t hiding their frustration with what has been a poor season thus far. Chapman could be an easy scapegoat as his struggles continue, and Boone’s public admission makes a change seem likely.
Mike Brousseau got revenge on Aroldis Chapman with a huge home run in Game 5 of the ALDS between his Tampa Bay Rays and the New York Yankees at Petco Park in San Diego, Calif. on Friday night.
Brousseau was batting in the bottom of the eighth inning against Chapman with the game tied at 1 and one out. Brousseau battled Chapman throughout the at-bat with four foul balls. Then on the 10th pitch, he took Chapman deep for a home run to break the tie.
Diego Castillo closed the door on the Yankees in the ninth to give the Rays a 2-1 victory and the series win.
So what’s the story with Brousseau and Chapman?
Earlier this year, benches cleared between the Rays and Yankees after Chapman threw at Brousseau’s head.
Chapman ended up suspended three games for throwing at Rays hitters.
That’s sweet, sweet revenge for Brousseau, although he disagreed.
“No revenge. We play them the best. We came here to win a series, we came here to move on. We do what we do best, and that’s play our game,” Brousseau said in a postgame interview with TBS.
Brousseau went 2-for-2 as a pinch hitter in the game. Austin Meadows homered in the fifth, and four pitchers combined to give Tampa Bay the win.
Aroldis Chapman appears to have had a bathroom issue while pitching on Saturday.
Chapman pitched a scoreless ninth with two strikeouts in his New York Yankees’ 2-1 win over the Baltimore Orioles in 10 innings.
Yankees manager Aaron Boone made a mound visit during the inning. Boone was asked about the visit after the game and hinted at a bathroom incident.
“He’s fine. He’s fine. Mother nature calls sometimes,” Boone said while laughing.
Chapman seemed to find some situation enjoyable. After getting a strikeout to end the inning, he turned towards center field and gave a huge smile.
Some wondered whether Chapman was cracking up about having soiled himself. If so, he wouldn’t be the first athlete to do that during competition.
Tampa Bay Rays manager Kevin Cash felt that Aroldis Chapman intentionally threw at his hitters on Tuesday night. Major League Baseball seems to agree.
As first reported by WFAN’s Sweeny Murti, Chapman has been suspended three games by MLB for his actions Tuesday night. Both Cash and Yankees manager Aaron Boone also received one-game suspensions. There was no word yet on whether Chapman would appeal.
The suspensions stem from a high-and-tight 100-mph fastball that nearly hit Tampa’s Mike Brosseau. That caused the benches to clear, with the Rays feeling that the pitch was intentional and retaliation for what the Yankees saw as the same thing earlier in the season.
The incident sparked a back-and-forth between Boone and an enraged Cash. The two teams meet for the final time in the regular season Wednesday night.
Amed Rosario hit a walk-off home run to beat the New York Yankees on Friday night, and the crazy thing is neither he nor Aroldis Chapman realized it was a game-ending homer.
The Yankees and Mets played a doubleheader on Friday, with the second game being a makeup from August 21. Doubleheaders are 7-inning games this year due to special rules for the altered COVID-19 season.
Chapman did not pitch in the first game, but he entered the second game in the seventh inning to protect a 3-2 lead. He allowed a leadoff walk, and then Rosario hit a walk-off two-run home run to end it.
According to Mets reporter Anthony DiComo, Rosario said he didn’t realize his homer won the game because he forgot the Mets were the “home” team for the second game.
Chapman also apparently didn’t realize the game had ended either.
Between the game ending on a Mets hit at Yankee Stadium and it being in the seventh inning, it’s no surprise the players were left so confused. This situation is a microcosm for the crazy season full of twists.
Aroldis Chapman missed the start of the 2020 season after he tested positive for the coronavirus earlier this month, but the flamethrower has been cleared to return to the team.
Chapman has reportedly tested negative for COVID-19 twice and can now rejoin his teammates.
The Yankees were supposed to face the Phillies this week, but that series was postponed after multiple Philadelphia players tested positive. New York will now face the Boston Red Sox in a three-game series beginning Friday.
The 32-year-old Chapman remains one of the game’s elite closers, posting a 2.21 ERA and 37 saves for the Yankees last season.
New York Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman is the latest MLB player to test positive for the coronavirus.
Manager Aaron Boone announced Saturday that Chapman is experiencing mild symptoms and will isolate away from the team.
The 32-year-old Chapman remains one of the game’s elite closers, posting a 2.21 ERA and 37 saves for the Yankees last season. He will have to test negative twice before being cleared to return to the team. With the season slated to start in less than two weeks, it’s entirely possible that he won’t be ready for the start of it, which would likely open the door for Zack Britton to temporarily serve as closer.
This is the latest blow for the Yankees, who have had an unsettling start to summer camp.
Aroldis Chapman will be riding in style this season thanks to his new custom Jeep.
The New York Yankees closer paid $150,000 for a customized six-wheeled Jeep covered in Kevlar, according to TMZ Sports. The Jeep, customized by South Florida Jeeps, also has 600 horsepower and a red fabric interior, complete with a steering wheel adorned with Chapman’s personalized “Cuban Missile” logo.
Joe Ghattas, the owner of the shop, told Greg Joyce of the New York Post that Chapman came in two months ago looking for “something really wild.” Ghattas described the finished product as “huge, it’s loud and it’s just offensive to all the senses.”
Chapman was apparently quite pleased with the work done on the Jeep, and will be taking it to New York for spring training.
“He came and test drove it the other day,” Ghattas said. “He doesn’t speak a whole lot of English, but he was smiles from ear-to-ear. He said, ‘It’s f—ing awesome.'”
It’s obviously been a big offseason for Chapman. The fancy new Jeep is only appropriate for a guy who has clearly been working out like crazy.
The New York Yankees won’t have to worry about whether Aroldis Chapman reports back to the team in good condition.
Chapman seems to be crushing things in the gym during the social distancing time. He’s been posting photos and videos of himself working out. On Sunday, he shared a photo of himself and some friends playing dominoes. Chapman’s upper body looks absolutely massive.
That’s probably no surprise given how much Chapman has been working out.
Chapman had two years and $30 million remaining on his contract with the Yankees after last season, but the sides agreed to a one-year extension for $18 million. The 32-year-old had 37 saves and a 2.21 ERA in 60 games with the Yankees last season.
Aroldis Chapman is not going anywhere.
Chapman had made some noise on Friday that he wanted a contract extension with the New York Yankees and would opt out of his current contract if he did not receive one. Well, the two sides agreed to one.
Chapman is already under contract for the next two seasons at $30 million. According to ESPN’s Jeff Passan, the extension will give Chapman an extra year at $18 million.
That means Chapman will make the following over the next three years:
2020: $15 million
2021: $15 million
2022: $18 million
2023: Free Agent
Chapman, who turns 32 in February, had 37 saves in 42 opportunities this season. His 2.21 ERA was the lowest of his three full seasons with the Yankees. While lower than his career mark of 14.84 K/9, Chapman’s 13.42 K/9 rate in 2019 remains elite, as does his average 98.4 mph fastball velocity.