TY Hilton appeared to hint earlier this month that he would be leaving the Indianapolis Colts in free agency, but the two sides were able to work out a new deal.
Hilton’s agents, the Katz Bros., announced on Wednesday that the star receiver has agreed to a new one-year contract with the Colts. The deal is worth $10 million with $8 million guaranteed.
Hilton confirmed the news on Twitter:
Hilton tweeted a GIF a few weeks ago that made it seem like he was leaving the Colts. He said he was going to be ready to work “no matter who I pick,” which made it sound like he was deciding between offers from teams other than the Colts.
It’s possible that there wasn’t as much interest in Hilton on the free agent market as he had hoped there would be. The 31-year-old had a down season in 2020 with 56 catches for 762 and five touchdowns. He has also dealt with some injuries over the past three years, so perhaps teams were concerned about that.
In any event, this looks like a nice deal for the Colts. They only had to commit to one year with Hilton, and he should be a valuable weapon as they try to incorporate Carson Wentz into their offense.
Photo: Jeffrey Beall/Wikimedia via CC-BY 4.0
The Indianapolis Colts needed a left tackle following Anthony Castonzo’s retirement, and they appear to have one.
The Colts are signing Sam Tevi, according to NFL Media’s Tom Pelissero.
Tevi was a sixth-round pick by the Chargers in 2017 and spent the early part of his career at right tackle. He moved to left tackle last season and made 14 starts there.
For the 2018 season, Tevi was Pro Football Focus’ worst-graded pass blocker. That was when he was at right tackle. He didn’t grade a whole lot better at left tackle last season.
The Colts likely believe PFF’s gradings do not reflect what they see in Tevi. Perhaps they believe Tevi was dragged down by scheme and other teammates, as most of his teammates across the line graded even worse.
We remember Tevi best from this false start he somehow was not called for on a touchdown pass in 2018.
Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay got creative with the Photoshop on Wednesday.
Irsay shared a photo on Twitter that was a play on the popular 1991 movie “Boyz N the Hood.” Only this version of the photo was “Coltz N Da Hood.”
Football fans will recognize Edgerrin James in the driver’s seat, Peyton Manning in the passenger’s seat, and Marvin Harrison in the back. The photo was taken from this scene in the movie, where Ice Cube is driving.
Irsay says that James sent it to him and said it should be titled “Coltz in the HOF.” That’s because Manning was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame this year, joining Harrison (2016) and James (2020), who were previously elected to Canton.
Harrison played his entire career from 1996-2008 with the Colts. Manning spent most of his career — 1998-2010 — with Indy. And James was with the Colts from 1999-2005. Together they formed one of the best and most exciting offensive trios in NFL history. They are all very deserving Hall of Fame members.
Those three had a lot of fun together, which helps explain Manning’s comment on what he misses most from his playing days.
The Indianapolis Colts were extensively searching for a quarterback before ultimately trading for Carson Wentz on Thursday. It’s clear now, however, that Wentz was not the only quarterback on their radar.
The Colts asked the Las Vegas Raiders about the availability of quarterback Derek Carr, according to Jim Ayello of the Indianapolis Star. The Colts’ trade attempts were quickly rebuffed, and talks went nowhere.
This is largely in line with what we’ve heard from other reports about Carr’s availability in trade talks. The Raiders are standing firm, and despite some speculation, Carr is not one of the quarterbacks on the market right now.
Even if available, Carr likely would have been more costly in a trade than Wentz. The Colts are likely fine with how things worked out.
Photo: Jeffrey Beall/Wikimedia via CC BY-SA 4.0
Indianapolis Colts players were likely disappointed when Philip Rivers announced his retirement last month, but they seem plenty excited about the team’s new starting quarterback.
The Philadelphia Eagles traded Carson Wentz to the Colts on Thursday in exchange for draft picks. While there are mixed opinions about whether Wentz can revive his career in Indy, linebacker Darius Leonard and other Colts veterans are clearly optimistic about what the future holds.
The Colts’ official Twitter account also shared a photo of head coach Frank Reich with a big smile on his face not long after the trade was completed.
Wentz has a tremendous opportunity to revive his career in Indianapolis. Reich was the offensive coordinator with the Eagles in 2017, which is when Wentz was having his best NFL season prior to tearing his ACL. The 28-year-old should be plenty familiar with the offensive scheme.
The Colts stood their ground in trade talks with the Eagles and did not end up giving up much. If Wentz proves he can be a viable starter on what is already a playoff-caliber team, the trade will have been well worth it.
Carson Wentz is officially on his way to becoming the starting quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts.
The Philadelphia Eagles traded Wentz to the Colts on Thursday in exchange for a third-round pick this year and a conditional 2022 second-round pick that could turn into a first. ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen were the first to report the news.
The 2022 pick would become a first-round pick if Wentz plays at least 75 percent of the Colts’ offensive snaps next season, according to Schefter. It would also become a first if Wentz plays at least 70 percent and Indy reaches the postseason.
The Colts have looked like the most likely suitor for Wentz for quite some time. Their head coach, Frank Reich, was the offensive coordinator in Philadelphia when Wentz had an MVP-caliber season back in 2017. Wentz was reportedly determined to reunite with Reich, though some other teams expressed interest in the former second overall pick.
Wentz also drew interest from the Chicago Bears, but it sounds like he did not want to play there. The Bears were not going to trade for Wentz knowing he didn’t want to play for them, which left the Colts as the only real suitor. Indy knew that and refused to up its offer, and that patience obviously paid off.
While he had a horrible season in 2020 and was benched for his poor play, Wentz has a great opportunity to revive his career with the Colts. He’s still just 28 and is plenty familiar with Reich’s system.
The Philadelphia Eagles have supposedly been on the verge of trading Carson Wentz for over a week now, but they have yet to pull the trigger on a deal. Is that because they are waiting for one team to up its offer?
Wentz reportedly wants to play for the Indianapolis Colts, where former Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich is the head coach. The Chicago Bears also have interest in Wentz, but Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Inquirer was told by an NFL source on Wednesday that they are not going to trade for the quarterback if he doesn’t want to play for them.
The Eagles are said to be looking for a Matthew Stafford-like package for Wentz, but that is not going to happen. The Los Angeles Rams sent two future first-round picks, a third-round pick this year and Jared Goff to the Detroit Lions for Stafford. The Colts have offered Philly much less than that, and Zak Keefer of The Athletic reports that they are sticking to it.
It sounds like the Colts are bidding against themselves. Given what we recently heard about Jalen Hurts, it’s tough to imagine Wentz remaining with the Eagles next season. If the Colts are patient, they will likely get Wentz at their preferred price point.
The Indianapolis Colts are viewed by many as the most logical suitor for Carson Wentz, but it does not sound like they have made a strong offer for the former second overall pick.
Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer said Monday that Wentz’s preference is to be traded to Indianapolis. Colts head coach Frank Reich was the offensive coordinator with the Philadelphia Eagles when Wentz had his best season in 2017, so you can understand why the quarterback would want to play for Reich again. But is the interest mutual?
As McLane sees it, a deal would probably have gotten done by now if the Eagles had the best offer on the table for Wentz. The Chicago Bears may be willing to offer more. Michael David Smith of Pro Football Talk pointed out that one option for Wentz would be to hold out if he truly doesn’t want to go to Chicago.
The Colts have reportedly made their offer for Wentz, and it doesn’t include a first-round pick. There has been talk that the Eagles are hoping for a return like the one the Detroit Lions got for Matthew Stafford, which was multiple future first-round picks and a third-round pick this year. It doesn’t sound like there is that type of market for Wentz.
One reputable radio host wondered if the Eagles are leaking information in an attempt to drive up the price for Wentz. That can’t be ruled out at this point, though a trade still appears all but certain.
Despite numerous reports that a Carson Wentz trade is moving closer and closer, nothing has actually happened yet. The reported offers the Philadelphia Eagles are receiving might explain why.
Former ESPN NFL analyst Ron Jaworski told 6abc that he was told the Indianapolis Colts had offered a pair of second-round picks for Wentz, and that was the best offer the Eagles had received to this point.
That may well be why the Eagles have not pulled the trigger on a deal. Word is they are looking for a Matthew Stafford-type return for Wentz, which would involve at least one first-round pick, if not more. In fact, word is that the asking price has put some teams off of pursuing Wentz.
The 28-year-old quarterback is clearly available, but the Eagles are also not eager to give him away. It leaves Wentz’s status in flux as we head into the offseason.
The Indianapolis Colts are one of two teams most heavily linked to a trade for Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz. That interest remains, but there appears to be a key sticking point in negotiations between the two teams.
According to Mike Kaye of NJ.com, the Colts have requested additional compensation from the Eagles in a Wentz trade. That means they want the Eagles to sweeten the pot by including some combination of extra players or picks along with Wentz if they want the Colts to meet Philadelphia’s asking price.
The Eagles appear willing to at least discuss this, as the report states that a second unnamed Eagles player has come up in those trade talks.
The issues the Eagles are facing are a combination of his hefty contract and the fact that the team still appears to value him more highly than most others. That asking price seems to be scaring some teams away. The Colts aren’t completely out, but it’s clear that they’re expecting some extra compensation to take on Wentz’s contract and pay the price the Eagles want.