Rajon Rondo is getting closer in his return from from a fractured hand.
Rondo was cleared to start contact progression with the Los Angeles Lakers. He participated in the team’s practice on Tuesday but limited himself somewhat.
Rondo has been cleared to start the contact progression. He did pretty much everything in practice today, Luke Walton said, but he was limiting himself. For example he’d reach for loose balls with the left hand instead of the right.
— Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) December 4, 2018
Rondo’s next step would include being cleared for full contact.
The 32-year-old guard has played in 11 games this season but has been out since injuring his hand on Nov. 14. While he’s been injured, Rondo has tried to help the Lakers as somewhat of a coach.
Rondo was initially projected to miss 4-5 weeks and should return before long for the 14-9 Lakers.
Rajon Rondo was so into coaching the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday night that Luke Walton had to tell him to zip it.
Rondo is out 4-5 weeks recovering from surgery to repair a broken hand. While he’s out, he’s tried to stay involved with the team by acting as if he’s a coach. He was holding a clipboard, huddling with the coaches during timeouts, and standing up during the game.
The Lakers’ real coach, Walton, only allowed Rondo to be part of the coaches’ huddles if he kept quiet. Rondo confirmed that, saying he was told to shut up.
Asked Luke Walton about Rondo being with the coaches tonight. He said Rajon talked too much, had to tell him if he wanted to stay in the huddles, he had to be quiet
Rondo: “yeah he told me to shut the *** up”
— Rachel Nichols (@Rachel__Nichols) November 19, 2018
At least Rondo didn’t throw any towels at the coaches.
Rondo has always seemed like a heady player, so it’s no surprise he’d want to be involved with the team in a coaching capacity. Perhaps this is a prelude to what’s to come after he retires.
Rajon Rondo suffered a broken hand during Wednesday night’s win over the Portland Trail Blazers, and the Los Angeles Lakers will reportedly be without him for about a month.
According to ESPN’s Ohm Youngmisuk, Rondo is scheduled to undergo surgery this week to repair the fracture. Adrian Wojnarowski adds that the recovery timeline for the point guard will be about 3-5 weeks.
Rondo is expected to miss three-to-five weeks, league source tells ESPN. https://t.co/TJ20BrFGps
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) November 15, 2018
Rondo has seen his minutes decline since Lonzo Ball returned to take over the starting point guard job, but the Lakers’ depth will be tested without him. Luke Walton said on Wednesday that he expects to be without Rondo for a few weeks.
After he scored no points on 0-of-4 shooting and had two rebounds and three assists against Portland, Rondo is averaging 8.5 points, 6.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds per game on the season.
The Los Angeles Lakers will be without Rajon Rondo for at least a few weeks.
Rondo suffered a broken hand during the Lakers’ win over Portland on Wednesday night, according to head coach Luke Walton. Walton says he thinks Rondo broke the hand while reaching for a steal.
We’ll get more details on this later; Walton just found out the results prior to his press conference. But he did note that Rondo hit his hand on the floor, presumably when he stole the ball from Nurkic in the 4th Q. Walton said he wasn’t sure and would have to check the tape. https://t.co/Ur2xgYRtsW
— Mike Trudell (@LakersReporter) November 15, 2018
Rondo did not score but had 2 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 steals in the Lakers’ 126-117 win over the Trail Blazers. The win marked the Lakers’ second of the season over Portland.
Rondo missed three games earlier this season due to a suspension, and the Lakers went 2-1 without him. He has seen his minutes decline as Lonzo Ball has taken over the starting point guard job.
- Filed Under:
At least for the moment, Lonzo Ball has wrestled the Los Angeles Lakers’ starting point guard job away from Rajon Rondo.
According to ESPN’s Dave McMenamin, Ball will remain in the starting lineup even after Rondo returns from his three-game suspension. Rondo is eligible to return on Saturday, but he will do so off the bench.
Rondo started the first two games of the season, both Laker losses. He averaged a double-double in those games, but the Lakers have performed better with Ball on the floor. They’re 2-1 with him in the lineup, and he’s provided 12.7 points, 7.3 assists, and 7 rebounds per game during that period. The team also has no concerns about his knee, which he had surgery on during the offseason but has since returned to full strength.
Rondo’s on-court conduct was poor and his off-court conduct has come under scrutiny as well. That’s not why the Lakers are benching him, but it probably doesn’t help. They’ve just performed better with Ball at the point and they’re going to keep him there as long as it stays that way.
Rajon Rondo unloaded on Chris Paul on Tuesday in the wake of both players being suspended for the fight they got into during Saturday night’s game, and Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey has seemingly come to the defense of his star point guard.
Rondo, who was accused of spitting at Paul before the two traded punches, told ESPN on Tuesday that he did not intentionally spit on Paul and was simply “exasperated” while trying to tell CP3 to get out of his face. He also said he’s not surprised that Paul got suspended for two games compared to Rondo’s three, as the Los Angeles Lakers guard said people have a false impression of the type of person Paul is.
“Everyone wants to believe Chris Paul is a good guy,” Rondo said. “They don’t know he’s a horrible teammate. They don’t know how he treats people. … He comes out and says I spit and the media sides with that.”
Not long after Rondo’s remarks were published, Morey posted a not-so-subtle message on Twitter.
— Daryl Morey (@dmorey) October 23, 2018
The implication, obviously, is that Rondo is the pot calling the kettle black, or being a hypocrite. Rondo has been accused of being a difficult player for coaches and teammates to deal with, which is something we know Ray Allen would attest to.
For what it’s worth, one former player who played with both Paul and Rondo has sided with Rondo in the feud.
The NBA has decided on the punishments for the players involved in Saturday night’s fight between the Houston Rockets and Los Angeles Lakers.
Brandon Ingram will be suspended four games, Rajon Rondo three, and Chris Paul two games for their roles in the fight.
The fight occurred in the fourth quarter after James Harden rammed into Ingram, leading Ingram to respond with a shove. Rondo and Paul then got into it, with CP3 thinking Rondo spit on him, leading him to put his hand in Rondo’s face. Rondo responded by throwing punches. Paul threw a few. Then Ingram came in out of nowhere and threw a punch as well.
Ingram & Harden get into and then Rondo & Paul and punches fly pic.twitter.com/A8SLQUmqsz
— CJ Fogler (@cjzer0) October 21, 2018
NBA official Kiki VanDeWeghe was in attendance for the game and witnessed the incident. He is the one who handles league discipline for such matters.
The suspension lengths send a message that the league feels Rondo instigated, but Paul still deserved discipline for engaging and throwing punches. Ingram is being hit the hardest because his involvement in the fight was so out of place and his actions were the most aggressive and unnecessary.