Quantcast

Manny Pacquiao: Floyd Mayweather acts uneducated, I feel sorry for him

floyd-manny

Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao both know the odds of them ever fighting one another are incredibly low, but that hasn’t stopped them from trading shots outside the ring. During a recent TV interview in the Philippines, Pacquiao criticized Mayweather for the way he carries himself.

“I’m not angry at him,” Pacquiao said, according to the Agence France-Presse. “I still feel sorry for him because he acts like an uneducated person. It’s pitiful to me and I’m praying for him.”

Pacquiao also added that Mayweather should “fear God” and went on to quote a verse from the bible.

“For what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul?” he said.

Mayweather recently revealed that his “reality” TV show on Showtime was scripted and merely a tool to promote his fight against Marcos Maidana. After the revelation, Pacquiao took to Twitter to basically say that Floyd’s desire to fight him is about as real as the show.

Pacquiao’s tweet inspired Mayweather to fire back with a series of photos on Instagram that showed Pacquiao lying in the ring. Floyd also said Pacquiao is “broke and desperate for a payday.”

Mayweather has two fights left on his Showtime deal and has said he plans to retire when the contract is up. Pacquiao is scheduled to fight Chris Algieri on Nov. 22. While Mayweather recently expressed a willingness to fight Pacquiao, the history of these two not fighting tells you everything you need to know.

Floyd Mayweather asked for a caption to his money stacks photo … so we came up with a few

Floyd Mayweather money stacks

Floyd Mayweather Jr. posted the photo seen above to his Instagram account on Thursday night and asked for his followers to “help me out with a caption.”

We decided to help him out with a few.

– “You think I want to risk losing this by fighting Pacquiao?”

– “The amount I paid in hush money to my alleged domestic violence victims”

– “These stacks are fake … just like my reality show”

– “Having an entourage that gives me baths is expensive”

– “Who needs to know how to read when you know what all the presidents look like?”

– “You really think Bieber and I are boys? He charges seven figures to walk me out to the ring”

Feel free to add yours to the comments section.

Floyd Mayweather: Manny Pacquiao is ‘broke and desperate for a pay day’

Manny-Pacquiao

Floyd Mayweather Jr. expressed a willingness to fight Manny Pacquiao earlier this month, but we have learned over the years that the odds of the bout ever actually taking place are incredibly slim. That’s not stopping Mayweather from trying to make Pacquiao look bad.

On Friday morning, Mayweather posted to image you see above on Instagram with the following caption.

“My new boxing DVD is coming soon and is called “3 Ways to Sleep”. Back, Face and Butt and I’m Falling & I Can’t Get Up. Miss Pac Man is broke and desperate for a pay day. Your Pay-Per-View numbers are a joke. www.themoneyteam.com.”

After defeating Marcos Maidana earlier this month, Mayweather admitted that his “reality” TV show on Showtime that was used to promote the fight was scripted. There was a scene where people were sitting around smoking marijuana and Floyd said the weed was fake.

“It wasn’t real marijuana,” he said, according to The Associated Press. “It’s all about entertainment. I don’t want to just sell a fight. I want to sell a lifestyle.”

After Mayweather made his revelation, Pacquiao took to Twitter to say that Floyd doesn’t really want to fight him.

If you want to know the full history of the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight that probably will never happen, go here. It was unlikely to happen before and its just as unlikely to happen now.

Showtime: Oscar De La Hoya was ‘deceitful’ in Canelo Alvarez negotiations

Oscar De La Hoya

A Showtime boxing executive says Oscar De La Hoya was “deceitful” in his negotiations with the network regarding boxer Canelo Alvarez, who instead signed a big deal with rival network HBO.

Oscar’s Golden Boy Promotions on Tuesday announced Alvarez’s new partnership with HBO. Canelo, like many of Golden Boy’s fighters, had been fighting on Showtime in the past year. The Mexican boxer is a fan favorite and has the ability to sell out venues and generate over 300,000 pay-per-view buys. Outside of Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, there are not many other fighters — if any — who have the drawing power of Canelo. That’s why the loss hurts Showtime.

Beyond that, Showtime boxing executive Stephen Espinoza says De La Hoya was deceitful during the negotiation.

“The announcement didn’t come as any surprise to me because Oscar has talked since July about wanting to having ‘Canelo’ fight Miguel Cotto in May with HBO fighters on the undercard,” Espinoza told the LA Times’ Lance Pugmire. “But the deceitful manner Oscar went about it … there’s no repercussions to this promise that was reneged on with a company you do business with.”

One of the reasons Oscar may have taken Canelo to HBO is because Showtime would not pay the $4 million license fee Golden Boy was seeking for Alvarez to fight Joshua Clottey in December. Espinoza did not think that would be a deal-breaker, but it may have been enough to sway De La Hoya towards HBO. He also said there was a verbal agreement that Canelo would sign with Showtime.

Another reason Canelo left for HBO is so he can fight in May and September on the same weekends as big Mexican holidays. This is how De La Hoya scheduled his pro fights, and it’s the same way Mayweather has done it. Mayweather, despite not being Mexican, is with Showtime, and that has prevented Alvarez from doing the same thing.

“There were many factors involved in making the decision but recouping the dates (was important),” Alvarez said. “I always wanted to fight on Cinco de Mayo (weekend) and in September (on the weekend of Mexican independence day) because being Mexican those are always the dates that are celebrated and I am excited to fulfill my dreams of continuing that Mexican tradition.”

Canelo is expected to fight Clottey in December and Miguel Cotto in May as long as all goes to plan.

Oscar moving Canelo back to HBO, where he fought from 2010-2012, is a huge step towards Golden Boy repairing its relationship with the network. HBO had problems with former Golden Boy exec Richard Schaefer and stopped doing business with the group. Golden Boy instead went to Showtime. But Oscar took control of his company after coming out of rehab, leading Schaefer to leave the company. He has put Golden Boy back in business with HBO, and his next step might actually be to work with Bob Arum’s Top Rank.

We make fun of Oscar here and there, but if he’s able to do business with both networks and set fights with Arum, then he’ll be doing a lot more good for the sport than bad.

Mike Tyson helped motorcycle crash victim ‘like a superhero’

Mike-Tyson-Floyd-Mayweather-Manny-Pacquiao-JailWhen 29-year-old Ryan Chesley crashed his motorcycle last week on Interstate 15 in Las Vegas, he couldn’t believe who he saw while he was trying to make sense of everything that had just happened. One of the first people to come to Chesley’s aid was none other than Mike Tyson.

Chesley crashed his motorcycle at around 9:30 p.m. last Tuesday when he says a taxi cut him off. Chesley’s lawyer said his client thought he was seeing things when he looked up and saw Tyson yelling at people to not touch him.

“He thought he was hallucinating,” attorney Stephen Stubbs told The Associated Press. “He thought he was in some other world.”

As soon as paramedics arrived, Tyson was gone. Stubbs said he left like “some sort of superhero,” not interested in waiting around to receive attention for lending a helping hand. The former heavyweight champion was recognized for his good deed anyway, as Chesley sent him a fruit basket and a hand-written thank you note.

“Thank you so much for looking over me after my accident,” Chesley wrote to Tyson. “It has to be the most reassuring thing in the world to have Mike Tyson telling people not to touch me.”

Chesley suffered broken bones and torn ligaments, but he was still able to use his right hand to snap a photo of Tyson with his cell phone. It only captured Iron Mike from the neck down.

We may be more familiar with the Tyson that blows up during interviews than we are with the one who has a compassionate side, but Chesley must be glad the softer side exists.

H/T SI Hot Clicks

Floyd Mayweather scrutinized over unsafe sparring conditions at his boxing club

Floyd MayweatherFloyd Mayweather Jr. was called by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Thursday to appear before a five-person panel next week to explain some unsafe fight conditions in his boxing gym, ESPN reports.

According to ESPN’s Dan Rafael, the commission was concerned over footage shown in “All Access: Maidana vs. Mayweather 2 – Episode 2.” “All Access” is modeled after HBO’s “24/7″ and is a mini-series about opposing boxers that is aired on Showtime to help promote its upcoming fights.

In the episode, fighters at Mayweather’s “Mayweather Boxing Club” in Las Vegas are shown squaring off in “the dog house” for what Floyd describes as “fight to the death” bouts.

“The dog house — the rules are you fight ’til whoever quits,” Mayweather says in the episode. “Guys fight to the death. It’s not right but it’s dog house rules.

“It’s about pushing these fighters to the limit. And when we say pushing to the limit, we truly believe there is no limit,” says Mayweather.

The episode shows amateur boxer Donovan Cameron from the U.K. beating up amateur boxer Sharif Rahman, who is the son of former heavyweight boxer Hasim Rahman. Rahman’s older brother, Hasim Rahman Jr., then challenges Cameron to a fight and they box for 31 minutes straight before Rahman is declared the winner.

31 minutes is an absurd length for two boxers to fight, and that is just one reason why the commission wants to talk to Mayweather. They are extra concerned because Floyd recently obtained a promoter’s license for his Mayweather Promotions business.

The commission was also concerned about a scene in the episode where many of Floyd’s girls are seen rolling joints:

The commission says they are less concerned about that scene, but that Floyd could face “disciplinary actions” over his dog house depending on how the meeting goes.

Floyd Mayweather on Leonard Ellerbe: I’ve outgrown him

Floyd Mayweather Leonard Ellerbe

Floyd Mayweather confirmed this week that there is an issue between him and longtime business manager Leonard Ellerbe.

Ellerbe, 49, has been a member of Mayweather’s staff for 18 years, but he did not serve as Floyd’s usual assistant trainer for the Marcos Maidana fight. In an interview published by FightHype.com on Wednesday, Mayweather confirmed there are issues between them.

“I think we’re just getting to a point where we’re outgrowing each other,” Mayweather told Fight Hype regarding his relationship with Ellerbe. “I think I just see things my way and I think he sees things in another way. For example, this time around when I went out and fought, my WBC and WBA titles in both weight classes were on the line and I didn’t approve of that at all. That’s something I didn’t approve of. Also, my daughter was sitting in the front row and her mother wasn’t sitting next to her, so the ticket arrangements were totally wrong.

“It just got to a point to where everyone wants to do what they want to do instead of communicating and compromising like we used to. We got to this point by us communicating and compromising. If I’m not mistaken, my dad wasn’t able to work [Andrew] Tabiti’s corner, his fighter. My dad, he got all his stuff, the things that he needed for the fight, extremely late. That’s just very unprofessional. There’s just a lot of other things within our team that’s just not right. Leonard wasn’t in my corner, so, you know, it’s not any hard feelings. It’s just people outgrow one another. I’m not mad at him. There’s no hard feeling like I hate the guy; not at all. No hard feelings whatsoever. People just outgrow one another, just like when people get a divorce. They’re no longer on the same page mentally.”

Mayweather is extremely demanding of the people on “The Money Team,” and he sounds dissatisfied with Ellerbe. He is also very controlling, so it’s not a surprise that his complaints either have to deal with things not running smoothly or control.

In the past, Ellerbe has been described as Mayweather’s personal assistant, administrative aide, and business manager. He is the current CEO of Mayweather Promotions.

In addition to his issues with Ellerbe, Mayweather used a different person to wrap his hands before the latest Maidana fight. Rafael Garcia, who usually wraps Mayweather’s hands, sounds like he is off “The Money Team.” Floyd also promised many changes to his team by the time he fights again in May and left us with this telling comment.

“Once people start making power moves without communicating with me, then I think it’s time for us to move our separate ways,” Maywather said.

Photo: Stephanie Trapp / SHOWTIME