Quantcast

Canelo Alvarez rips Erislandy Lara for running from contact

Canelo Alvarez Erislandy Lara

Canelo Alvarez beat Erislandy Lara by split decision on Saturday night in Las Vegas and is in no hurry to schedule a rematch.

After his win, Canelo ripped Lara for running instead of engaging during their fight.

“I came to fight. You don’t win by running a marathon. You win by punching and connecting,” Alvarez said in his post-fight interview. “He has a great jab, but you don’t win a fight that way. I want to leave fans satisfied. This wasn’t the fight I expected. I wanted a toe-to-toe fight. He began to run more after he was cut. He didn’t come to fight, he came to run. He’s a great boxer, I respect him. But he has to throw more punches.

Canelo also dropped this bomb on Lara.

“When he learns how to fight, I’ll give him a rematch.”

Lara felt much, much differently about the way the fight went. He thought he won it.

“100 percent (I won). I fought my fight, and I know I won. I was controlling the rounds, and I made him look bad in front of his fans … Nothing changes, I still dont have respect for him, I want a rematch. I’m 100 percent sure that I can fight the same way and beat him again.”

Paulie Malignaggi again critical of Manny Pacquiao over drug testing

Manny PacquiaoPaulie Malignaggi was at it again last week criticizing Manny Pacquiao and insinuating the Filipino champion has been on performance-enhancing drugs during his career.

Malignaggi’s accusations about Pac-Man go back to 2009 when he was suspicious of the Filipino fighter’s ability to seemingly gain power as he went up in weight classes. As recently as April, the Brooklyn-born fighter and boxing analyst took some shots at Pacquiao, saying he’s not a very good or intelligent fighter.

On Monday, Malignaggi fired off multiple tweets aimed at Pacquiao over the Filipino ducking drug testing during his career.

I don’t give credit to guys who hide and duck from random drug testing while accomplishing things that seem pretty amazing,” Malignaggi wrote to start his Twitter rant.

Paq should have been the first to volunteer for those random tests when he was destroying people while constantly jumping weight classes,” he continued. “Instead, he ducked and dodged them. So no, until I see a destructive Pacquiao performance for a fight in which he submitted to random drug testing, I will not give that credit.

This sport needs to be take in the right direction and a guy with his popularity should have been the first one to set the example and volunteer for it. Instead he dodged it during a time when he shouldn’t. Which leads anyone to wonder if that was the whole reason for his sky rocketing 2 fame in the first place.”

I’ve expressed many of the same thoughts about Pacquiao’s ascension as Malignaggi did, so it’s hard to say he doesn’t have multiple valid points.

Paulie, who is 33-6 in his career with only 7 knockouts, says he has been clean throughout his entire career and that he can look himself in the mirror knowing that. Can Pacquiao say the same?

Floyd Mayweather shares strip club videos

Floyd-Mayweather-strip-clubFloyd Mayweather Jr. was busy being Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Saturday night, but he wasn’t too busy to share it with all of his followers on Instagram. Apparently the “no cell phones” policy doesnt apply to The Money Team, because someone in Floyd’s crew recorded a couple of short clips of the boxing champ sitting at the stage enjoying the show.

“I f***ing love my life,” Mayweather wrote along with the video you see above.

Mayweather also posted a video that showed him mesmerized by dat ass.

I think we can all guess what happened next.

Ruslan Provodnikov complains about Chris Algieri’s fighting style

Ruslan ProvodnikovRuslan Provodnikov looked like he was going to cruise to victory Saturday in Brooklyn against Chris Algieri, but things changed pretty quickly.

After Provodnikov got two knockdowns in the first, Algieri rebounded and outworked the Russian the rest of the way. He won a split decision, winning by scores of 114-112 on two of the judges’ cards. Though Provodnikov got the early knockdowns, he admitted after his fight that Algieri’s style was not for him.

“I have to admit, runners are not my style,” Provodnikov said in a post-fight interview with HBO’s Max Kellerman, according to a translator. “He’s just jabbing and touching me. I can’t feel any of that, but it’s not my style. I like guys that stand there and fight me.

“This is the worst style for me,” Provodnikov complained.

Kellerman, who like Jim Lampley and Andrew Ward thought Provodnikov won the fight, pressed the Russian on the issue. Provodnikov had the same response.

“I said it before — it’s just not my style. He just ran and he just touched me. He just jabbed and touched me. I didn’t feel any of that, but obviously I have trouble with that style.”

Based on those responses from Provodnikov, I think we can safely cross a rematch with Algieri off the list of his potential fights. We can also safely scrap any plans for Provodnikov to move up in weight to face Manny Pacquiao, too.

Chris Algieri fights through massive swollen eye to beat Ruslan Provodnikov

Chris Algieri eye swollen

Chris Algieri was at a disadvantage for most of his fight Saturday against Ruslan Provodnikov after his right eye became so swollen that he was almost unable to see through it, but he still fought well despite the impaired vision and managed to win a split decision.

Algieri won the WBO light welterweight title fight at Barclays Center in a decision that surprised anyone watching on HBO and listening to the commentary of the pro-Provodnikov crowd. The judge who had it in favor of Ruslan scored it overwhelmingly in his favor 117-109, but the other two scored it 114-112 for Algieri.

Algieri’s eye became swollen after he was decked hard in the first round by Provodnikov, who scored two knockdowns that round. I thought Algieri won most of the later rounds of the fight and overall looked better than Provodnikov from the eight round on. He was in super condition and still bouncing around in the 11th and 12th rounds of the fight. However, Provodnikov counterpunched extremely well and popped Aglieri in the face multiple times, which led the eye to swell even more.

“I could actually see out of the eye pretty well until about round 8. And round 12, I was f—ing blind,” Algieri told HBO after the fight.

To think that there was talk about Provodnikov facing Manny Pacquiao next. Ha! So much for that plan.

The last time we saw a right eye damaged that badly was when Antonio Margarito lost to Pac-Man.

Chris Algieri eye shut

Chris Algieri eye Provodnikov

Oscar De La Hoya vows to end ‘Cold War’ with Top Rank

oscar-arumBig things are happening with Golden Boy Promotions, and the latest step might be Oscar De La Hoya’s company actually working with hated rival Bob Arum’s Top Rank Boxing.

For years the two companies have pretty much refused to do business together, which has come at a detriment to the sport. The two promotions each have a stable of fighters and only pair their guys against each other, even if another promoter has a fighter who would present a better matchup. That greediness and selfishness has frequently prevented fans from seeing some of the most intriguing fights.

But, now, it sounds like De La Hoya wants to make some changes.

Following former CEO Richard Schaefer’s resignation announcement from Golden Boy Promotions on Monday, we know Oscar will be more involved with his company. And in an interview with “The Ring Magazine” — which is owned by Golden Boy — Oscar said he plans to work with Top Rank in the future.

“I don’t care what it takes,” De La Hoya told RingTV.com. “I will end the Cold War for the fans.

“I have a mission,” De La Hoya said in the interview, which took place prior to Schaefer’s resignation. “And that mission is to make the best fights happen, to bring everybody together for the fans. That’s all it is. It’s for the fans.”

Oscar says he has already met with Arum a few times to discuss things. He even has a few potential fights in mind if the promotional outfits begin working together.

“There are a lot of possibilities,” De La Hoya said. “You can do (Marcos) Maidana versus Pacquiao. You can do (Lucas) Matthysse and Brandon Rios. There’s a lot of possibilities.”

Perhaps the biggest reason why Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather never happened has to do with the promoters; Mayweather hates Arum and refused to do any sort of business with him.

Will Oscar get eaten alive by Arum when they begin working together? We’ll see. Regardless, this actually should be good for boxing.

Richard Schaefer leaves Golden Boy Promotions, Oscar De La Hoya

Richard SchaeferThere was big news in the behind-the-scenes boxing world on Monday when Richard Schaefer issued a statement announcing that he is leaving his position as CEO of Golden Boy Promotions.

“After more than ten years with Golden Boy, it is time to move on to the next chapter of my career,” Schaefer said in a statement. “This decision has required a great deal of personal reflection, but ultimately I concluded that I have no choice but to leave. I have succeeded in banking and I have succeeded in boxing, and I look forward to the next opportunity. I am proud to remain a shareholder, so I have a strong interest in the continued success of the company. I am proud of what we have accomplished at Golden Boy, but I now look forward to new challenges.”

Golden Boy was started by Oscar De La Hoya in 2002 and quickly emerged as one of the biggest forces in boxing by signing some of the best talent.

Along with Bob Arum’s Top Rank, Golden Boy is one of the best and most well-known promotions in boxing, with one of the deepest stables of fighters.

Although the company bears his nickname, De La Hoya has hardly been involved in the day-to-day or big picture operations of the business for years. Instead, he’s battled alcohol abuse and been in and out of rehab while serving as a figure/face of the company. Schaefer is the guy who really has run the company. He organizes the matches, puts on the cards and is the main spokesperson. Simply put, he, along with Arum, has been one of the most powerful promoters in boxing over the past several years.

Schaefer’s departure means a few things. One, Oscar may try to be more intimately involved in the company now, which is not a good thing considering he’s not exactly the smartest guy. Two, Golden Boy may actually try to work with Top Rank to match their fighters against each other, which is something that rarely happened in the past. Three, the company probably is going to go downhill in some way. Lastly, I wouldn’t be surprised if Schaefer went to work with Floyd Mayweather and really helped beef up Floyd’s The Money Team promotions to make it a real player in the industry. Though he remains independent in many aspects, Floyd has worked with Golden Boy on his last several fights, and he has a lot of respect for Schaefer. I wouldn’t be surprised if the two pair up and start something big, especially with Floyd’s fighting career coming to a close. This would be a natural transition towards retirement.