Lamar Odom addressed a wild story about him being kidnapped while in Oregon by seemingly suggesting the report was a fairy tale.
On Wednesday morning, Radar Online published a story saying that Odom was held hostage during a trip to Oregon in June to visit his girlfriend. Odom allegedly borrowed money from some shady figures while he was there and lost the $10,000 while gambling. They supposedly then took him hostage until he came up with the money to pay it off.
Odom posted a screenshot of the story on his Instagram page Wednesday, along with a caption.
“i also got lost in a rabbit hole together with my kidnapers, rapunzel and the 7 dwarfs saved me ! We all lived happily ever after . Can you please add this to the story ? Don’t leave out the juicy facts this bulls— makes me wanna start my own gossip online platform and report stories only about me . What y’all think?” Odom wrote (profanity censored).
Odom invoking fairy tale characters seems to show he felt the report was made up. His manager meanwhile denied the report.
As far-fetched as this story sounds, based on what we’ve seen him involved in, nothing can really be ruled out when it comes to Lamar Odom.
Lamar Odom has indicated for quite some time that he wants to get back into playing professional basketball, and he has finally found a way to make that happen.
On Thursday, Odom announced that he has signed a contract to play in China.
I have some good news to share with you on this beautiful day from The Netherlands. My heart literally warms up now I can finally share with you all that I'm returning to play Basketball. I will be playing in China ! God is good ! Thanks lord for giving me another chance in life and thank you fans for your the love and support during all those hard years. Never give up on yourself and keep believing that only god can create the miracles you're hoping for. Basketball and my children have always been the light in my life and this is where my focus is right now. Thank you @mr2rchiang and @iamzoul for believing in me and the opportunity to start over again! Thank you @starburymarbury for being my inspiration LETS GOO ! #china #basketball #yes
A post shared by Lamar Odom (@lamarodom) on
Odom, who has not played in the NBA since the 2012-13 season, did not specify which team he will play for in China. He thanked Stephon Marbury for inspiring him, as Marbury went on to win multiple titles in the Chinese Basketball Association and become a star overseas after playing 13 seasons in the NBA.
Odom has been open about his struggles with drug addiction over the past couple of years, so hopefully his decision to play professional basketball again will help keep him on the right path. Earlier this week, Odom’s name was mentioned in connection with an alarming incident at a Hooters restaurant, but the 38-year-old says he was not harmed nor directly involved.
Ex-NBA star Lamar Odom is back in the news again for a negative reason.
TMZ Sports reported on Tuesday that the former Sixth Man of the Year was involved in an altercation at a Hooters restaurant in Queens, New York in the early hours of Jul. 20, leading to the cops being called. Witnesses say that Odom and a group of friends were leaving the restaurant when they got into a verbal argument with another group. A man from the other group is said to have pulled out a gun and fired multiple shots into the air. Nobody was struck however, and the other group fled the scene, per witnesses.
As for Odom, the report says that he has not been accused of any wrongdoing and is cooperating with the police as they actively search for the shooter.
Odom, 38, last played in the NBA during the 2012-13 season. He has since played for Spanish club Saski Baskonia however and has expressed interest in suiting up for Ice Cube’s BIG3 basketball league.
This latest incident comes just months after Odom was caught on video collapsing at a Los Angeles nightclub in late 2017.
Lamar Odom has been interested in playing in Ice Cube’s BIG3 basketball league for quite some time, but he may be more motivated than ever now to join a team for the upcoming season.
Odom told TMZ on Thursday that he could be joining the BIG3 this summer, and he said he doesn’t have a preference of which team he plays for. However, he said he would like to play in honor of the late Rasual Butler, a fellow former NBA player who died in a car crash last month.
“The person I wanted to play for just passed away, so it don’t matter,” Odom said. “I jut want to go out there and represent for him.”
Odom considered Butler one of his closest friends in the NBA.
It’s unclear if Odom is going to receive an offer to play in the BIG3, as one coach said last summer that he would not want the former Los Angeles Laker on his team because of Odom’s well-documented issues in his personal life. While there have been reports that Odom has his drug problem under control, a disturbing video showed that he had collapsed in a nightclub back in November. Odom appeared to remain conscious, though it’s unclear what exactly happened.
Most people seem to agree that Odom could still play if he can get in shape and keep his head on straight, but those are two very big ifs.
Lamar Odom was recorded on video after collapsing at an LA nightclub early Sunday morning.
TMZ Sports shares the report and video of the former NBA player on the ground after falling in his VIP booth at a club called Bootsy Bellows.
— #Catchthetea (@catchtheteaTV) November 6, 2017
There’s no other information available surrounding Odom’s condition.
Odom has been in rehab before for substance abuse issues and openly admitted that cocaine helped end his career. Seeing him collapse like that is not a good indication that he has learned his limits or is taking the best care of his body possible.
Lamar Odom apparently takes the Bro Code very seriously.
In an appearance this week on Complex’s “Everyday Struggle,” the former Sixth Man of the Year and ex-Los Angeles Laker commented on the Nick Young-D’Angelo Russell scandal that rocked the Lakers last year.
“If I was Nick Young, I would’ve put my hands on him,” said Odom of Russell, per Bryan Kalbrosky of HoopsHype. “And I was expecting motherf*ckers on the team to put their hands on him. That would’ve showed camaraderie.”
Though both players are no longer on the Lakers, it’s hard to forget the stir that Russell created when he outed Young’s alleged infidelities in a secret cell phone video, and it seems that Young still hasn’t quite gotten over it. As for Odom, perhaps this is a subject matter of particular sensitivity for him.
Lamar Odom has exhibited some self-destructive behavior in his life, but few realized that included sabotaging himself from becoming the No. 1 overall pick in the 1999 NBA Draft.
Odom was viewed as a talented, versatile player coming out of college at Rhode Island in ’99. He was in the mix to be the No. 1 pick, which ultimately was Elton Brand by the Chicago Bulls. Steve Francis and Baron Davis are two other talented players who were taken in front of Odom, while excellent players like Rip Hamilton, Jason Terry, Shawn Marion and Andre Miller went behind him, forming an extremely productive top-10.
In a recent interview, Odom revealed that he essentially sabotaged himself so the Bulls wouldn’t take him first overall.
Odom told The Vertical’s Shams Charania in a lengthy feature that he no-showed on the Bulls for his predraft visit, and instead spent the day at the beach on Long Island. He kept Chicago’s GM Jerry Krause and then-coach Tim Floyd waiting for seven hours without showing up. His interview with the Bulls before the draft also did not go well.
“Because the questions that Jerry Krause was asking me were inappropriate, I thought at the time,” Odom told Charania. “Jerry Krause was asking me questions about my father’s health, about his past. That was none of his business. That had nothing to do with me being drafted, me being a player. After talking to him, I didn’t really want to be No. 1. It worked out for the best.”
Although Odom acknowledges being the No. 1 pick would have been a cool career accomplishment, he says he didn’t think he really wanted to go No. 1 to the Bulls.
Also in the feature, Odom reiterated a sentiment he’s shared in the past, which is that being traded away from the Lakers derailed his NBA career. At the time, was nearly in tears after learning the Lakers wanted to trade him and he blasted the team’s front office. He also says he once turned down more money from Portland to remain with the Lakers — a decision he clearly believes was the right choice.
Odom’s not the first athlete to make a poor impression on a team during the draft process, only his efforts actually worked, unlike what happened with another star who did the same thing.