Canelo Alvarez announces September fight with GGG
Canelo Alvarez and Golden Boy Promotions had a big announcement after the Mexican fighter made easy work of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. on Saturday night in Las Vegas.
During his postfight interview following his unanimous decision shutout of Chavez, Alvarez announced that he will fight Gennady Golovkin in September.
“Golovkin, you are next my friend. Where are you?” Alvarez said in his interview with HBO’s Max Kellerman.
Golovkin was in attendance for the fight, sitting ringside to watch Alvarez win 120-108 across all three judges’ cards.
GGG made his way to the dressing rooms after the fight and then re-emerged as he was brought into the ring to also talk with Kellerman.
“I feel very excited,” Golovkin told Kellerman. “I think right now everybody is excited.”
Alvarez, now 49-1-1 (34 KOs) made it clear that he had no fear in facing Golovkin, who is 37-0 with 33 knockouts.
“I’ve never feared anyone. When I was born, fear was gone,” he said through a translator.
The two men exchanged pleasantries, with Golovkin wishing Alvarez good luck for their September fight.
“Luck is for the mediocre people,” Alvarez said in response.
T-Mobile Arena was advertising the fight as scheduled for Sept. 16.
— ArseniosMaximus (@ArsenDadyan) May 7, 2017
Golovkin typically fights at 160 pounds compared to Canelo, who had been fighting around 154 or 155 pounds. But Canelo fought Chavez Jr. at a 164-pound catchweight, so he should be comfortable at the higher weight.
Four belts will be on the line in their fight — the WBC World middleweight title; WBA Super World middleweight title; IBF World middleweight title; and International Boxing Organization World middleweight title.
This will be the most anticipated boxing fight since Mayweather-Pacquiao, though this should please fans much more than the 2015 disappointment.