Myles Jack withdraws from UCLA to enter NFL Draft
UCLA linebacker Myles Jack made a stunning decision on Tuesday to withdraw from school and declare for the NFL Draft.
Jack, a standout junior whose 2015 season ended last month when he suffered a knee injury during practice, has decided that he is going to take his chances heading to the NFL rather than returning to UCLA as a senior. Bruins coach Jim Mora wished Jack well but expressed some concerns over the decision.
“He’s taking his chips and shoving them into the middle, and we hope he draws a good hand,” Mora said. “When you look at the statistics and where underclassmen are drafted, it behooves anyone to stay for their final year. I think it’s very risky to do this. There’s a lot of speculation to … where he fits.”
Jack, who also takes snaps at running back, appeared in just two games this season. Mora said that could be an issue for some NFL teams.
“I’ve been in 25 draft rooms,” he said, per Darin Gantt of Pro Football Talk. “I’ve never seen a guy taken off [two games of junior tape].”
While he may no longer be a first-round pick, there’s little question Jack will be drafted. Despite the knee injury, the 20-year-old is responsible for some of the most electrifying plays (this may be the best example) we have seen in college football over the past two years. He clearly feels his stock is high enough with or without having to rehab from a major injury.