Skip to main content
Larry Brown Sports Tagline. Brown Bag it, Baby.
#pounditTuesday, November 30, 2021

Dolphins DE Derrick Shelby reportedly tasered three times by police during arrest


Miami Dolphins defensive end Derrick Shelby was arrested early Saturday morning in Fort Lauderdale after he reportedly caused a disturbance in a nightclub and then refused to leave. According to the Palm Beach Post, Shelby had touched women without their permission inside the club and was asked by security to vacate the premises.

Shelby apparently became violent with officers when they told him to leave. Police had to use a taser three times when the 25-year-old resisted arrest. Here are some details from the police report.

When an officer asked Shelby to leave he allegedly asked them “what are you going to do?” and began “photographing and taping” the officer while refusing to leave the club. Police say he appeared intoxicated.

When police told Shelby he was under arrest he “began pushing away from officers and took an aggressive fighting stance.” Police allege Shelby was placed on the ground where he was “actively resisting and attempting to brace his arms to defeat efforts to place him into custody.”

Shelby “ignored several loud verbal commands to release his arms to be placed into custody.” Police had to use a taser on Shelby three times before he was “successfully placed into custody.” He was brought to Broward General Hospital and then to police headquarters.

Shelby was reportedly not involved in a fight inside the club, so the cuts and bruises on his face must have come from his altercation with police. Shelby’s attorney Daniel Rosenberg told the Palm Beach Post on Sunday that the injuries were a result of excessive force used by officers.

Shelby was charged with trespassing and resisting arrest without violence — both misdemeanors. The Dolphins have suspended him indefinitely.

H/T The Big Lead


Subscribe and Listen to the Podcast!

Sports News Minute Podcast
comments powered by Disqus