North Carolina head coach Hubert Davis does not expect Caleb Wilson to be sidelined for long.
The Tar Heels’ star freshman suffered a hand injury last week in a game against Miami. Wilson was able to return to the game in the second half, but tests later revealed that he had fractured his left hand.
With March Madness just around the corner, many assumed Wilson’s playing career at North Carolina may have ended prematurely. But Davis doesn’t seem to think so.
The Tar Heels head coach spoke candidly on his radio show Monday about Wilson’s injury, predicting that his star forward would be back “soon.”
“He’s in practice,” Davis said. “He’s dribbling with his right hand. He’s in the huddles. … He’ll be back on the floor soon. … If I said okay, I think he would play [right now] with his cast/splint on.”
Tar Heels HC Hubert Davis gives an injury update on Caleb Wilson after he fractured his left hand last week. pic.twitter.com/uqCbSh4EAX
— Yahoo Sports (@YahooSports) February 17, 2026
Wilson himself has assured North Carolina supporters that his time at Chapel Hill was “not over.”
The 19-year-old has been one of the best players in the country this season as a freshman. The 6’10” forward has averaged 19.8 points, 9.4 rebounds, and 2.7 assists for No. 16 North Carolina.
Wilson is expected to declare for the 2026 NBA Draft, where he is widely projected as a top-four pick in a stacked rookie class. He recently got the better of fellow top prospect Cam Boozer in a rivalry game win over Duke.














