Phillip Lindsay is looking forward to doing battle with the newcomer in town.
In an interview Monday with Mike Kils of 9News in Denver, the Broncos running back said that he was embracing the competition for the starting position with the newly-signed Melvin Gordon.
“Melvin’s not my enemy,” said Lindsay. “He’s my teammate. He needs to do his job but best believe I’m going to do my job.”
“When camp comes around it’s going to be a battle,” Lindsay went on. “I’m not just going to sit there and give somebody the job. They can. But I’m going to go out there and I’m going to battle. I’ve heard this stuff my whole entire life. And it’s never ever panned out how everybody has wanted it to pan out. Until someone proves me wrong, I’m going to continue to do what I do.”
The 25-year-old Lindsay, who has rushed for 1,000 yards in each of his first two NFL seasons, started all 16 games for the Broncos in 2019. He also added seven rushing touchdowns and 35 receptions for 196 yards.
The two-time Pro Bowler Gordon, however, is expected to take the lead in the Denver backfield next season after signing a two-year, $16 million deal with them this offseason. But Lindsay has played with a major chip on his shoulder since going undrafted in 2018, and he is not about to relinquish his starting spot without a fight.
NFL teams are making adjustments to their draft prospect evaluation process this year due to changes related to the coronavirus. Teams were unable to watch players work out at their Pro Days, and they aren’t able to conduct the types of in-person visits with prospects they wanted. Teams hoping to talk with prospects are planning to do so via video interviews.
Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert says the team will begin their video interviews on Thursday.
Colbert said they'll start video interviews with players they initially planned to bring in for visits on Thursday https://t.co/ujKONy0LDk
— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) March 31, 2020
The Steelers do not have a first-round pick this year because they traded theirs to Miami for safety Minkah Fitzpatrick. They do have a second, third, two fourths, a sixth and seventh-round pick and will look to improve based on those selections.
Many team employees were said to be upset about the draft remaining on schedule for April 23-25, but they will now have to do the best they can.
- Pittsburgh Steelers
The Cleveland Browns have made an addition to their defense.
The Browns and Adrian Clayborn agreed to a 2-year deal. The contract is for $6 million and worth up to $7 million, according to reports.
Clayborn is a rotational pass rusher who had four sacks last season for the Falcons. He will turn 32 and likely be part of Cleveland’s rotation on the defensive line.
The deal is an upgrade over the $2 million Clayborn made last year with Atlanta. The Browns were also thought to be a possible landing spot for Everson Griffen on the defensive line. It’s unclear whether the addition of Clayborn would impact that.
- Adrian Clayborn
Jalen Mills wants to start a new chapter with the Philadelphia Eagles, and he is crediting a pair of all-time basketball greats for providing the inspiration.
The Eagles veteran, who will be changing his number from 31 to 21, said on Tuesday that LeBron James and the late Kobe Bryant inspired the change.
“The number change is just a new beginning,” Mills said, per Martin Frank of the Delaware News Journal. “One of the guys who always motivates me was Kobe Bryant or LeBron James. Kobe went from 8 to 24. LeBron from 6 to 23. It’s re-creating myself, re-creating that ‘Green Goblin,’ that monster. It’s a new position. It’s a new feel. It’s going to be new energy.”
The 25-year-old Mills, who will also be switching positions from cornerback to safety next season, signed a one-year, $5 million deal to return to Philadelphia this offseason. He added that he had interest from other teams as well but that they all wanted him to remain as a cornerback.
For Mills, whose number change will allow the newly-signed Nickell Robey-Coleman to wear No. 31 instead, let’s just say that this is much better than the last time that he got involved with the NBA.
The NFL is going a little unconventional in their attempts to reach a younger fanbase, and the Internet is having some fun with it.
On top of revealing their new postseason format and schedule on Tuesday, the league announced that they plan to broadcast one of those playoff games on Nickelodeon with a separately-produced telecast tailored to a young audience.
The NFL on Nickelodeon is now a thing: The additional Wild Card game on Sunday will be simulcasted on Nickelodeon in a broadcast tailored to younger fans. pic.twitter.com/XSwgTxnr30
— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) March 31, 2020
The out-of-the-box strategy sent Twitter into a meme frenzy. Here were some of the best reactions, most of which were “Spongebob Squarepants”-themed.
Nickelodeon has already shown the NFL on its network before pic.twitter.com/HpkefpHnka
— Andrew Hodgson (@ahodgson92) March 31, 2020
Introducing the new Nickelodeon NFL broadcast team! pic.twitter.com/Ytw1OWL9tY
— Just Another Football Podcast (@AnotherFBPod) March 31, 2020
how it’s gonna sound when Saquon breaks off for a TD in the wild card game when it airs on Nickelodeon pic.twitter.com/c61e3ChNpZ
— GmenGalaxy (@goatsaquon) March 31, 2020
The NFL announced Nickelodeon will simulcast a 2020-21 wild card game.
For the kids pic.twitter.com/ni99sB9wJv
— FanSided (@FanSided) March 31, 2020
Nickelodeon and the NFL showing the Theismann game pic.twitter.com/zP0MKdYJJj
— John Lindgren (@John_Lindgren) March 31, 2020
Who is in the booth for the Nickelodeon broadcast of the NFL #WildCard game? I got:
Play-by-play: Tommy Pickles
Color: Patrick Star
Sideline: Wanda Fairywinkle-Cosma & Nigel Thornberry
Rules Expert: Tito pic.twitter.com/cBkLOqnzAv
— Christian Goeckel (@goeckelespn) March 31, 2020
Surprisingly enough, this isn’t even the first time that Nickelodeon, one of the top children’s television networks since its inception in the late 1970s, has entered into a partnership of sorts with the NFL.
Everson Griffen recently announced that he will not be returning to the Minnesota Vikings next season, and a market is beginning to develop for the veteran defensive end.
Griffen has interest in joining the Seattle Seahawks, Chris Tomasson of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports. The interest is said to be mutual, especially with the Seahawks not certain to re-sign Jadeveon Clowney.
Source close to former #Vikings DE Everson Griffen says he definitely has interest in signing with Seattle Seahawks and they could be interested in him if they don't re-sign DE Jadeveon Clowney. Clowney remains domino that likely needs to fall before Griffen signs with any team.
— Chris Tomasson (@christomasson) March 31, 2020
The Seahawks have reportedly offered Clowney a deal in the $13-15 million per year range, but he is seeking significantly more than that. There does not appear to be a whole lot of interest in Clowney at his asking price, however, so it’s possible he could rethink that offer from Seattle weeks or months down the road.
Griffen, 32, is a four-time Pro Bowler who had eight sacks last season. We know of at least one other team that could be interested in signing him, so the Seahawks may not be able to wait too long if they are treating him as a Plan B behind Clowney.
Tom Brady is beginning a new chapter of his legendary career at age 42, but the quarterback is keeping the same jersey number.
Brady wore No. 12 throughout his incredible run with the New England Patriots, and that number was occupied by one of the best players on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers roster last season. Fortunately for Brady, star wide receiver Chris Godwin had no problem giving up No. 12. The Bucs announced on Tuesday that Brady will wear No. 12 and Godwin is changing to No. 14.
Godwin said recently that he is “very passionate” about the No. 12, and he would have kept it if Brady was indifferent. The receiver said he has worn the number since high school.
“But if he does (want No. 12), out of respect for everything he’s accomplished and everything that he’s done I will kinda have to defer to him,” Godwin said. “He’s the G.O.A.T., you know. If he’s willing to give it up, perfect but if he’s not, then I guess we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.”
Obviously, Brady had plenty of reason to want to keep No. 12. His brand is called “TB12” and includes sports performances centers, dietary supplements, and much more. It’s obvious how important Brady’s brand is to him, and we feel it could be one of the reasons he chose to sign with the Bucs.
The real story here is that Godwin (allegedly) gave Brady No. 12 for free, as some players have had to pay steep prices for jersey numbers in the past. Godwin likely made that decision because Brady is the one who is going to be throwing passes to the receiver in 2020 and potentially beyond. Graciously giving up your jersey number for your new quarterback is a great way to get off on the right foot.