Tiger Woods: I did not think about disqualifying myself
Tiger Woods admitted after shooting a 70 in the third round of the Masters Saturday that the controversy over his improper drop distracted him, but he did not consider disqualifying himself.
Woods spoke with CBS’ Bill Macatee following his third round and said it wasn’t until Saturday morning that he learned there might be an issue with the drop he took on the 15th hole Friday. Macatee asked if Tiger thought about disqualifying himself for signing an incorrect scorecard, but he said he did not.
“No, because under the rules of golf I’m abiding by the rules,” Woods answered. “They made the determination that nothing had happened yesterday. After what I had said, things changed and they called me in this morning and I got a two-shot penalty.”
Macatee asked Woods if he felt the two-shot penalty was fair, and he said yes.
“Absolutely. I made a mistake. Under the rules of golf, I took an improper drop and got the penalty.”
Woods also admitted that the controversy distracted him.
“Well, it was certainly a distraction early with the routine, but like anything it happens and you move on. I was ready to play come gametime.”
The Augusta National competition committee said disqualification wasn’t even being considered for Woods. Tiger said earlier in the day that he didn’t knowingly break a rule, which is why the committee felt a disqualification would be unfair. Woods is four shots behind co-leaders Angel Cabrera and Brandt Snedeker entering the final round.
Graphic via Deadspin