Daniel Bryan medically cleared to return to WWE
Daniel Bryan has not wrestled in the WWE in nearly three years, and it seemed all but certain that his career inside the ring was over when he retired due to concussions in February 2016. But now, the door is officially open for the fan favorite to return.
WWE officials confirmed to Brian Campbell of CBS Sports on Tuesday that Bryan has been medically cleared to wrestle. The 36-year-old has been cleared by three outside neurosurgeons, neurologists and concussion experts in addition to WWE medical director Dr. Joseph Maroon.
Bryan has hinted at a return on numerous occasions, even saying that he would look to wrestle elsewhere when his WWE contract expires in September if the organization still would not clear him after outside doctors did. He has been serving as the on-screen general manager for SmackDown Live, and there are already rumblings that his first match back could be at WrestleMania 34 on April 8.
Bryan fought back tears during an emotional speech when he retired three years ago. He spoke about the toll concussions have taken on his body and said he planned to start a family with his wife, WWE superstar Brie Bella. In a recent interview with The National, Bryan expressed frustration with the WWE for not clearing him.
“I have done everything in my power. Everything they have asked me to and I have gone above and beyond as far as ‘Okay, what doctors do you need me to see. Send me to any doctor you want, any doctor that you want and lets get their feedback on what is going on with me,'” he said. “So far every doctor has cleared me that they have sent me too and so there is a chance. I used to think that the percentage of the WWE ever clearing me was low. I think with the stuff that I have done it has gone a little higher but I don’t know how much higher.”
You could tell how much of a beloved WWE icon Bryan was with the way fans reacted during his retirement speech, so talk of his return should be overwhelmingly positive.