One of Chip Kelly’s assistants in Philadelphia says that the Eagles coach is staying with the team.
“Chip isn’t going anywhere,” defensive coordinator Billy Davis said on Thursday, via NJ.com’s Eliot Shorr-Parks. “Nope. I promise you that.”
Davis also affirmed that Kelly is committed to the team.
“Absolutely,” Davis said. “Not kind of committed. All-in committed. I know it. He is a fighter. He don’t run.
“You see the way he acts day-by-day,” Davis said. “No change in Chip.”
The NBA is reportedly reconsidering its policy about who gets credited for victories when a coach is on leave.
The policy has come to the forefront this year, with Steve Kerr on leave for health reasons. Kerr is receiving credit for Golden State’s 16-0 start, despite the fact that Luke Walton has coached the team in all 16 games.
However, a source told the San Jose Mercury News’s Diamond Leung that the NBA is reconsidering its policy and may give Walton credit for the victories.
There is no word on when the league will make a decision, but with a decision on coach of the month honors due in the coming days, someone from the Warriors will undoubtedly need to be credit for the historic start.
Walton has said that he doesn’t care who gets the credit, but even if Kerr still has his fingerprints on the team, it’s only fair that Walton get credit for doing a fantastic job.
Nick Foles has been borderline anathema when he’s been under center for the Rams this season, but despite the team’s persistent efforts to keep him as far away from the starting lineup as possible, he has managed to find his way back into the fold.
Foles, who was benched last week in favor of Case Keenum, is now expected to start in Week 12 after Keenum was concussed in the team’s loss to the Ravens last Sunday according to Nick Wagoner of ESPN NFL Nation. Keenum has yet to clear concussion protocol, clearing the way for the 26-year-old Foles to potentially reclaim his starting gig against the Bengals.
Fisher says QB Case Keenum hasn't yet cleared concussion protocol. Plan for now to start Nick Foles but they'll see how Keenum feels Sat.
— Nick Wagoner (@nwagoner) November 27, 2015
The former Pro Bowler Foles has been a nightmare in nine starts for the Rams this season. He has completed just 56.6 percent of his passes for 1,678 yards, posting seven touchdowns and six interceptions, as the team has gone 4-5 with him as their starting quarterback.
Keenum wasn’t much better in his spot start, going 12-for-26 for 136 yards and a touchdown against the Ravens before going down.
With Foles, who has shown almost zero chemistry with the St. Louis receivers this season, pressed back into action, it looks like the Rams will have to continue relying heavily on their top-10 defense if they want to keep their razor-thin playoff hopes alive.
LSU coach Les Miles reportedly told members of LSU’s Gridiron Club that Saturday’s game would be his last as head coach of the Tigers, according to two reports.
Miles told attendees at a group luncheon that he will “always be a Tiger” and thanked them for “a great 11 years,” and confirmed that he would not coach LSU’s bowl game, according to Tiger Rag’s Cody Worsham. NOLA.com’s Jim Kleinpeter corroborated the report, citing attendees who said that while Miles didn’t explicitly say as much, he made it clear that Saturday’s game would be his last and called LSU his second family.
Wolsham cited sources who said that Miles appeared in good spirits, while Kleinpeter’s source told him that Miles was “emotional but in control.”
The reports confirm the growing sentiment that LSU is done with Miles, with Jimbo Fisher being speculated as a potential replacement. This is the strongest indication yet that Miles’s days at LSU are numbered.
- Les Miles
Sixers rookie star Jahlil Okafor admitted that he is embarrassed over his role in a street fight late Wednesday night, but Boston police will not investigate the incident further.
Okafor spoke to reporters on Friday ahead of the Sixers game against Houston, and he acknowledged that he’d made a mistake.
“It was definitely dumb on my part,” Okafor told reporters Friday, via ESPN. “It’s something that I am embarrassed about. Still dealing with the league and the team. But I’m not happy about it at all.”
The good news for Okafor is that he won’t face any further investigation from the Boston police.
According to officer James Kenneally via ESPN, the participants were gone by the time police arrived and no arrests were made, and no further investigation is planned unless someone comes forward to report a crime.
ESPN’s Jeff Goodman reported that Okafor was incited by someone taunting him with “the 76ers suck and you guys are all losers. You’ll never win a game.” You can see video of the fight here.
While Okafor isn’t really at fault, the 76ers are 0-16, and that seems to be wearing on the rookie.
- Filed Under:
- Jahlil Okafor
Bucks head coach Jason Kidd has been disciplined by the NBA for doing his best Rick James-on-Charlie Murphy impression to a ball in referee Zach Zarba’s hands on Wednesday night.
Kidd had been frustrated with the officiating all night and after a non-call on a Giannis Antetokounmpo drive late in the fourth quarter of the 129-118 loss to the Sacramento Kings, he smacked the ball out of Zarba’s hands heading into a timeout and was ejected (video here).
The NBA announced a one-game suspension for Kidd on Friday for “aggressively pursuing and confronting a referee, slapping the ball out of his hands, and not leaving the court in a timely manner upon his ejection” (per Marc J. Spears of Yahoo! Sports). He will serve the punishment during the Bucks’ matchup against the Orlando Magic tonight.
NBA statement on Jason Kidd suspension. pic.twitter.com/bkqlxJ0uyy
— Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) November 27, 2015
Brian Windhorst of ESPN reports that assistant Joe Prunty will coach the team in Kidd’s place on Friday.
Joe Prunty will coach the Bucks in place of Jason Kidd tonight. Previously took over for Kidd in Brooklyn when he was suspended.
— Brian Windhorst (@WindhorstESPN) November 27, 2015
The 6-9 Bucks currently have the third-worst record in the Eastern Conference, and hopefully the jolt that Kidd’s outburst gives the team will be worth the price of the suspension.
- Filed Under:
- Jason Kidd
Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was reportedly involved in a fight with security at a nightclub in Miami.
Translation: Yasiel Puig started a fight with security at a club in Miami. He left with a bump/bruise on his face. https://t.co/591FsphTXo
— Vincent Samperio (@VinceSamperio) November 27, 2015
While no details of the alleged incident are known, Puig’s Instagram page did indicate that he was headed to Miami on Thursday.
If the report is true, it will do nothing to cool speculation that Dodgers players and members of the organization are growing tired of Puig’s antics. The team may have dangled Puig in trade talks over the summer, and one Dodgers executive recently said he expects the 24-year-old to slim down a bit during the offseason.
Puig has irritated the Dodgers in the past with antics like this, but he has never really gotten into any legal trouble. We’ll see if that changes in the coming days.
H/T Hardball Talk
- Yasiel Puig
Erica Kinsman, the woman who accused Jameis Winston of raping her nearly three years ago, told her story this week in a documentary that aired on CNN. The claims she made are very disturbing.
A lot of the information wasn’t new, but hearing it straight from Kinsman is chilling. She said Winston began raping her in his bedroom but picked her up and brought her to the the tile bathroom floor after telling her “the door will lock in here.”
“I was trying to push him off and kick him off, but he was too big,” Kinsman explained. “I said ‘please stop’ multiple times and I said ‘no.’ Eventually he pushed his hand over my face and pushed my face to the floor and just continued to rape me.”
Kinsman also described taking a scooter ride home from Winston because she had no idea where she was. She said she didn’t want to hold onto Winston after what had happened but was afraid of falling off.
Much of the documentary dealt with how the Tallahassee police failed to do their jobs. Kinsman said marks were appearing on her body when she went to the hospital to have a rape kit performed.
“They were watching bruises appear as I was laying in the hospital bed,” she said
Detective Scott Angulo, a Florida State graduate, is the officer who allegedly discouraged Kinsman from pursuing charges against Winston.
“This is a huge football town,” Kinsman claims Angulo told her. “You really should think long and hard about whether you want to press charges or not. It didn’t make sense to me. I just thought that’s his job, why is he not gonna do it?”
Lawyers for Winston have threatened to sue over the CNN documentary, but it aired anyway. You can understand why they didn’t want it going public, as Kinsman shared a great amount of detail (some of which we heard before) and was very convincing. The documentary is a bad look for Winston and Tallahassee law enforcement.
Ohio State and Michigan renew one of college football’s most storied rivalries on Saturday and squarely in the middle of this year’s edition of Jim Harbaugh.
Earlier in the week, Harbaugh stopped at the grave of legendary Michigan coach Bo Schembechler during his walk through Forrest Hill Cemetery and smashed a buckeye on the ground. On Friday, Ohio Governor John Kaisch and Lieutenant Governor Mary Taylor urged residents to avoid a certain type of clothing typically worn by Harbaugh.
In the above pictured resolution, Kaisch referenced fashion choices made by Ohio-born coaches who have made their mark on the series, like Schembechler and Jim Tressel. He also noted Harbaugh’s tendency to wear pleated Wal-Mart (reportedly) khakis on the sideline. Because of the nature of the Buckeyes-Wolverines rivalry, Kaisch doesn’t want residents in an article of clothing worn by a Michigan head coach so is urging those in the state to refrain from wearing Harbaugh’s pants of choice.
The week leading up to the Ohio State-Michigan game is always entertaining and this year has proved to be no different.
- Filed Under:
- College Football
- Ohio State fans
The Green Bay Packers have appeared lost at times this season, particularly on offense. Injuries have certainly played a role in that, but it’s also possible that the team is not doing enough to prepare for games.
During the third quarter of Green Bay’s loss to the Chicago Bears Thursday night, NBC’s Cris Collinsworth said the Packers recently held a players-only meeting. Younger guys on the team spending too much time playing video games was apparently a topic that was addressed.
“They had a little players-only meeting this past couple weeks ago before that Minnesota game,” Collinsworth said, according to Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. “I don’t think Aaron Rodgers was too happy with the preparation schedule of some of the young players on this team. A few too many video games being played and not enough homework.”
Rodgers said after the game that he has not been on the same page with his receivers, and that has been evident for several weeks now. Packers coach Mike McCarthy singled out one particular player, though it’s unclear if he is one of the players Collinsworth was referring to.
What is clear is that Rodgers might be hurt, and the Packers are trending in the wrong direction. If they haven’t figured out by now how to throw the ball without Jordy Nelson, they might never figure it out.